|Four

The front door creaked in slight protest as the woman pushed it, her free hand still gripping onto the chipped, golden-colored handle. She didn't seem too concerned about it though, her attention instead drawn to and focused on her five-year-old grandson as he burst past her and into the practically empty house.

"Charlie, dear, please be careful," she scolded with a fond little smile; though, she still apologized to the man, a person whom assisted them with their stuff, who the boy had only bumped into moments before.

Her husband, Allen, whistled lowly as he carried their last box of belongings inside, placing it amongst all the others that laid scattered around the empty foyer. The small entrance table there was a little dusty already, their much larger pieces of furniture having been moved into the house days ago already.

Though, the new homeowners failed to notice the streaks in the dust, the small coating looking as if someone had dragged their fingers through it... despite the house having been empty at the time.

"Mary," Allen said her name to gain his wife's attention. "Want me to set up the bathrooms and start to take out our clothes?"

The woman nodded, smiling in appreciation. "That'd be great dear. I'll have Lee help me with the kitchen."

Allen chuckled when their grandson zoomed past them, small toy plane between his fingertips. He then turned back to his wife, mischievous glint in his eyes. "Good luck with that, he seems pretty content."

Marian laughed at that as she picked up one of the boxes that was labeled 'kitchen'. "Suppose so, but the house isn't going to unpack itself," she finished with a tease before making her way down the cluttered foyer and through the open doorway on the left.

The kitchen and dining room was a bit on the smaller side, but then again, to Mary, the whole house was smaller compared to their previous one. It was the perfect size for her husband, Allen, and herself though. They have been wanting to downsize for the longest time, and since their children have moved out of the house to start their own lives, she figured that it was a good time as any to move.

When this one-story home became available at a shockingly cheaper price than she would've thought, they had accepted it almost immediately. Apparently, the lot had been on-and-off the market a few different times, previous owners renting and loaning the home out after only spending a couple months within it.

Their real estate agent didn't seem that concerned about that fact, saying that the property had had bad records due to having multiple homeowners within a short time period. She emphasized greatly that the house was in perfect working condition though.

Nevertheless, Marian and Allen have accepted, and now they were moving into their new home. But, maybe they should've asked why the house had been on the market multiple times.

*

Charlie sat on the plastic-covered mattress in one of the two empty bedrooms within his grandparent's new home. He knew his grandma was in the kitchen, while his grandpa unpacked their belongings into the other bedroom, the master bedroom.

The almost six-year-old was growing bored. With his grandparents busy unpacking the house, he had no one to play with him. With a pout, he half-heartedly waved his little plane above his head, trying so hard to spark a bit of imagination within himself.

He was so concentrated that he jumped slightly when someone sat themselves down on the bed next to him. Charlie quickly threw a glance to the stranger, and whoever it was, was already looking at him. The boy smiled politely, because his mother had taught him manners, before introducing himself.

"I'm Charlie. Would you like to play with me?"

The boy couldn't hide his smile when the stranger seemed surprised, and Charlie had to literally beg the man to chase him around the house in a quick game of tag. He dashed from one side of the room to the other, but Charlie had enough of the confined space of the bedroom and decided to take this game out into the rest of the house.

The stranger was hot on his heels, and Charlie laughed as he took them through the kitchen. His grandmother didn't seem that impressed though, her having clutched her heart in a slight panic as her grandson hid behind her.

"Lee, what's gotten you so riled up, hm?"

Charlie looked up at her and smiled, his arm outstretched as he pointed towards the far corner of the kitchen. "I'm playing tag with Lou."

The boy hadn't even asked for the strange man's name, he just knew; Charlie could feel it. When the man smiled at him in appreciation though, the little boy knew that they'd be good friends.

Marian seemed confused for a second as she glanced towards the empty space her grandson gestured to, but she knew better than to break a child's imagination. "Well, why don't you and your friend go play outside?"

884 words
Unedited

If there's any mistakes, please let me know; I'd like to learn from them, and your help to point them out would be appreciated.

~ Abby Xx