8

I start to look forward to each new dose of pills as they come against my better judgement. I have no real way of knowing what the hell the medication is, but I have an idea of what they do to me by now. Their effect is stronger with each new dose, which is objectively worrying. It doesn't matter, though, because the stronger they are the more time I get to spend with Damien.

Every time I wake up back in this stupid fucking hospital bed all alone, I'm sluggish and disoriented. I have no doubt that they're keeping me sedated to stop me from using my powers since they had to take off the power-inhibiting cuffs to fasten me to the bed. I don't even want to begin to imagine the insanely high dose of whatever sedative they've been giving me, because it has to be a lot. The only way I can get a medication like Tylenol to have an effect on me is to take the entire bottle and then some.

I take the next round of pills from Dr. Raze without anyone questions. She quirks an eyebrow as I swallow them down, a curious expression on her stupid angular face.

"I have to be honest, Maxwell," she begins, clasping her hands together in front of her, "I didn't think your cooperation would last as long as it has."

I shrug as best as I can with the way I'm tied up but don't say anything in response.

"It makes me curious, if I'm being honest," she continues. "What do you see?"

"See?" I say, deciding to play dumb. If these hallucinations I've been having aren't the desired effect of the drugs, I can wind up losing the one good thing in this place.

She smiles without any teeth, her head tilting to the side.

"You know what I mean."

"You mean you can't see?" I dare to ask. "Don't I say stuff? Move?"

She shakes her head of brown hair.

"No," she replies. "It's all mental. Like going to sleep."

I let out a long breath. She so does know what the pills do, apparently. What's the harm in telling her, then?

"My counterpart," I mutter back.

Her green eyes brighten slightly.

"Oh?" she replies. "That's actually quite interesting. How does that work with your Bond, then? She must know something's wrong, no?"

I glare back.

"He's dead, so no. The Bond isn't a factor," I spit back.

The surprise that flashes across the woman's face does nothing to cool my anger.

"I see." She looks around for a bit, seemingly trying to figure out what to say, but eventually leaves without another word.

I wait for the medication to kick in, still steaming with irritation. When Damien shows up, I look over at him and tell him to take me somewhere. He looks confused, so I ask him if we can just go to our suite and lay in bed together.

"Yeah, yeah sure," he breathes with a strange look on his face. "Of course we can."

There's no way of me to know how the drugs I'm being given work, but when I take my eyes off of him and look around, we're exactly where I asked to be. When I glance over the side of the bed, there's clothes scattered here and there on the floor. It's how it always was. Damien and I were always busy doing stuff for the team, so laundry hardly ever got done.