11

I break out the bottle of pills that have been living in my bedside table a couple days later. It was only a matter of time, really. The effects of the pills are addictive. They give me something that nothing else can short of my own death, and even that's not a guarantee.

It's around nine at night when I lock myself into my bedroom and take the two pills. I lay back in my bed, surrounded by a nest of blankets, and wait. The reality of what I just did sets in a few moments into the wait. There's always the possibility that I grabbed the wrong pills and these could do something bad. They look like the ones that doctor bitch was giving me, though, and I don't really think they'd have been sitting outside of my room if they weren't. The risk I just took goes against nearly every protocol I'm supposed to follow as a League agent, let alone a captain.

"Max?" Damien's voice still startles me like it always did back in the facility. My head always imagined I was in our suite in the old team building, but now I'm actually in my new suite. It's as close to real as I'll probably get.

"Hi," I breathe, smiling stupidly as I roll onto my side to see him. He's there, lying across from me, but his face is scrunched up, green eyes narrowed.

"I thought we had a talk about you getting out, Max," he says seriously.

I blink in surprise.

"We did. I did. I got out. I'm back with my team."

"Then why are you seeing me right now?" he asks.

I shrug.

"I don't know. I guess the medication hasn't left my system yet. I guess it'll wear off eventually," I lie. I feel bad for lying to most people, but it's not really him I'm lying to.

He doesn't look like he completely believes me, but I fist two hands into his t-shirt and pull him closer.

"Distract me?" I murmur, which is really just another way of saying something else. He gets it, though. He always did before, too. I hardly ever asked him to kiss me directly, and I told him to fuck me with those exact words even less.

"Yeah, okay," he agrees, shifting me onto my back so he can park himself right on top of me. The pressure is nice. Everything after that is even nicer.

/-/-/

I completely lose myself to the hallucinations. It doesn't take much to do so. I get to slip to a space where it's just Damien and I, something I can never get enough of.

It was stupid of me to think that the team wouldn't notice something is wrong pretty quickly. I did just come back from being kidnapped and experimented on, so it only makes sense that at least a couple of them are keeping tabs on me for the time being. I would be doing the exact same thing if our roles were reversed. They're going about it a lot less obviously than I would, but their intentions are still there.

The first person who sneaks up to my suite is JD. He comes needing assistance with some questions D.C sent and luckily catches me at a time when the medication has just worn off. I answer all his questions and he's gone only a few minutes later, clearly busy with whatever he needed to ask about. That was yesterday, and it speaks volumes that that near miss still isn't enough to get me to stop taking the purple pills.

I hear the elevator opening just as I slip under. I only have a few conscious seconds left to panic before the medicine is swallowing me up with no way to stop it. Damien's smile relaxes me, though, and I decide to ignore what may be waiting for me when I wake up for now. There's nothing I can do until I wake up, anyways.