003 | campfire songs and prophecys

phoebe didn't bother going to dinner

phoebe didn't bother going to dinner. she wasn't hungry anyways. however, on her way to the campfire, she noticed rachel and piper heading there too, so she jogged to get to them.

so, the trio went on their way to the campfire. phoebe didn't bother sitting under the designated poseidon flag; she headed straight for annabeth at the front.

annabeth pulled her best friend into a hug. "i'm sorry. i know you miss him, and i do too, and i know it's worse for you because he's your literal twin brother-"

phoebe cut her off with a wave of her hand. "annabeth, the way i'm related to him doesn't make your feelings any less important, okay? this isn't about who misses him more, this is how we both miss him, and we should save him together. let's just see what cryptic chiron has to say tonight."

jason was just slightly impressed. most people would have been angry or offended, or would have started an argument but phoebe had reasoned with annabeth in the most mature way, and it was possibly the only mature thing he'd seen the girl do.

phoebe was oblivious to the look  jason was giving her; annabeth didn't miss it, though. she smiled; her best friend deserved a bit of happiness, and maybe that would come in the form of jason. after all, the girl could have almost any boy at camp, but she turned them down every single time.

chiron trotted up in front of everyone. "very nice! and a special welcome to our new arrivals. i am chiron, camp activities director, and i'm happy you have all arrived here alive and with most of your limbs attached. in a moment, i promise we'll get to the s'mores, but first—"

"what about capture the flag?" somebody yelled. grumbling broke out among some kids in armor, sitting under a red banner with the emblem of a boar's head.

"yes," the centaur said. "i know the ares cabin is anxious to return to the woods for our regular games."

"and kill people!" one of them shouted.

annabeth and phoebe shared an unimpressed look.

"however,"chiron said, "until the dragon is brought under control, that won't be possible. cabin nine, anything to report on that?"

he turned to leo's group. leo winked at piper and shot her with a finger gun. the girl next to him stood uncomfortably. she wore an army jacket a lot like leo's , with her hair covered in a red bandanna. "we're working on it."

more grumbling.

"how, nyssa ?" an ares kid demanded.

"really hard," the girl said.

"lay off her, kiddo." phoebe called.

nyssa sat down to a lot of yelling and complaining, which caused the fire to sputter chaotically. chiron stamped his hoof against the fire pit stones—bang, bang, bang—and the campers fell silent.