Chapter Three

Losing all my friends left me so depressed, I couldn't interact with anyone for months. The accident left me with a huge scar on the thigh of my right leg. I was told that when the ambulance and paramedics came to the scene, my right leg was stuck inside the car and had to be forcefully pulled out, a large amount of my skin pulled off. I couldn't feel the pain as I was numb and drained. Ade and Diana were the first to pass away, Jayden and Chimaka passed away on the way to the hospital. Tayo and I, the only survivors were surgically operated on which turned out successful.

However, two days later, he died after being given a drip containing excess glucose. Apparently, his entire clan was known to be diabetic which was hereditary and they all avoided sugar like the plague. I wish the nurses in charge had taken the right amount of tests to understand that my dear friend was diabetic. No, instead they decided to take care of him blindly. He died after fighting so hard to live.

Ah! The pain... So intense!

As typical Nigerians, my parents took me to the only place they knew, to help me out of my depressed and autistic state; church! My parents were devout members of The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), One of-if not-the fastest growing churches in the world. They were told to fast and pray without ceasing! In a way, I believe their prayers worked as I began to speak two months later. But each time I remembered my friends, especially Diana, who had a bad feeling before the accident, I broke down again. Words couldn't describe how much pain I felt. It was just indescribable!

It wasn't until two years later, while sitting and reminiscing about the accident in my living room, I remembered the prayer I made a few seconds before the accident.

Oh God, if only I could get one more chance, I would live differently!

That came to me as a refreshing wave of self-reestablishment. I had to move on! I had to move on with my education, to grow spiritually, physically, mentally and socially. I had to live a new life, one that didn't revolve around alcohol, hard drugs, excessive partying and boys. It was long overdue!

So that was how I got my Joint Administration Matriculation Board (JAMB) form in order to gain admission into the University. My O'level results were excellent so I had no trouble or so, I guessed. Much to my disappointment, I was denied admission into the University of Lagos (UNILAG). Although I passed remarkably, my parents were instructed by the administrating officials to bring a stipulated amount of money before the admission would be given. However, knowing how rich and influential my parents were, they were pious and never approved of bribery so I had to sit for another exam the following year. This time around, I picked Lagos State University (LASU). Fortunately, I was given admission that same year to study International Relations. It was a big deal to my parents and they threw a party to congratulate me. I felt super proud of myself. At school, I did my best possible to work hard and not relent in at least getting a second class upper degree.

So that was how I got to be here, in my final year of the University.

Now let's zap back to that faithful day, December third.

I had no idea why I decided to pass through the back gate instead of the LASU Ojo gate, which led directly to my faculty, the Faculty of Arts. I had gotten to the famous shuttle stand hoping to get a bus instead of trekking the long distance to my faculty, when a Nissan Pathfinder wheezed by. It's tinted windows were rolled down and I could clearly see the driver.

My breath hitched as I came face to face the most handsome man I had ever laid eyes on. Well, handsome was clearly an understatement as I observed him. Apart from being dark and handsome, his hair was cut so low and neat, his eyes were a little bit bulgy with brown lens. Oh my goodness! How could a guy this dark have bright brown eyes? It was a wonder to me. His nose, pointed and firm, his lips, perfect and shaped like a heart allured me. And he was bearded, just the way I liked.

Our eyes connected for the most fleeting moment but felt like eternity to me before he drove by. I had to heave a sigh I didn't know I had held all these while. Never had I been this captivated by any human in my entire life!

But I questioned myself; was he as affected as I was? No, he definitely wasn't since he drove off without a backward glance. Was he a student here, and how come he drove an SUV this suave? Who knows, he could be a Yahoo boy with lots of money from the white women he deceived on social media. I drove all thoughts of him out of my mind as I finally got into a shuttle bus.

Lectures proved to be difficult as the guy I met in the morning kept invading my mind. I could hardly concentrate! Why was I so affected by him? It wasn't like anything was gonna come out of it. After all, he didn't even acknowledge me in the first place.

Pfft! I needed to get my head out of this.

Fortunately, lectures ended and it was time for me to go home. I still lived with my parents, because I had made the decision not to get a hostel all through my time in the University. Guess what? I didn't take the closest gate which led to Iyana-Oba bustop, neither did I board a shuttle bus to help save time. No, sir! I took my time to walk or trek like we Nigerians call it with one motive in mind; to see if I would meet him again.

You know who!

I kept glancing back and forth, my fingers crossed, hoping he would drive by and I would get a glimpse of him. I shunned off the voice in my head saying I looked like a stalker. Please Universe, just let me see him again and my day would be complete! I begged silently.

Nonetheless, I was loaded with disappointment as he never showed up again. I sadly boarded a bus that would take me home. Maybe he was a ghost or better yet, a fragment of my imagination. I consoled myself.

However, I knew my life had changed that day. Call me a fool and whatnot, I believed I had just had taste of love!

Lover boy-the new term I had given him-never showed up again. Even during second semester, I had begun to forget his face and what he looked like. Only in my dreams he seemed real.

A few months later, I graduated from Lagos State University with a second class upper degree to my pride and happiness. The late nights and constant lectures sure did pay off. My parents were so proud of me, they bought me a brand new 2018 Toyota Corolla. It was my dream car.

Oh the joy and excitement!

A few weeks later, I was called for an interview in a multi million dollar company. I hadn't gotten a copy of my certificate yet so I had to rush down to school to collect it. I was greeted warmly by my professors and administrators before being handed my certificate. During the drive home, my stomach growled and being a foodie, I knew I had to eat or I wouldn't have peace. Taking a U-turn, I drove to the famous 'Amala Joint' alias AJ Restaurant, where I was served two amazing wraps of Amala and Egusi soup, with lots of stew, meat, ponmo, shaki, sponge, oh wait! Let me stop there, you know how amazing Nigerian food is.

I had just washed my hands and paid for my meal when I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I looked back and was rooted to the spot.

"I knew it was you!" He said.

Holy cow! Without a fact it definitely was... Lover boy!