Chapter 2

The three stood there and watched as Madam Pomfrey headed straight for Ron, McGonagall seemed to deliberate before deciding Poppy could handle the situation and moved in their direction while Dumbledore and Snape could hardly wait to get to them. The sight of these three heading in her direction had Luna actually shaking but she was determined to stand by the two Gryffindors, she was also unaccustomed to being the centre of attention and was sure her housemates would make her pay for it later.

"Potter, what did you do?" sneered Snape.

Harry kept his face straight, "I'm sorry sir but I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't lie to me Potter, what did you do to Weasley's hand?"

"I didn't do anything to him, all our wands are still in our pockets. I really would appreciate you having some proof before you accuse me of lying, sir." Harry looked around the hall and raised his voice slightly, "And that goes for everyone."

Snape's sneer was running full force now, "You're not still trying to maintain that ridiculous 'I didn't enter' story are you? Just be a man and admit it."

Harry removed his wand and pointed it straight up, "I, Harry James Potter swear on my life and magic that I did not enter myself in the tri-wizard tournament."

The light that surrounded him illuminated the entire great hall, as the light faded Harry cast his patronus and the silver stag sprang forward looking for enemies, on finding none prongs faded slowly out of existence but not before leaving quite a few people revaluating their opinions.

"It would appear sir that you owe me an apology, will you just be a man and give it?"

Snape just stared straight into Harry's eyes and then those closest to the group clearly heard the hissing coming from the hidden ring, "Mr Potter, what is that?" asked McGonagall.

"That Professor, is a gift from a friend of mine that's telling me Snape is attempting to enter my mind. It's also telling me that I can legally kill him where he stands for his transgression."

"And what do you think of that Harry?" Dumbledore asked.

Hermione spotted the verbal trap and answered before Harry could say anything, "Actually, we're more interested in what you think headmaster. What have you to say since a member of your staff just carried out an illegal attack on a student in the middle of the great hall?"

Dumbledore's eye's twinkled, "To quote Mr Potter, where is your proof Miss Granger?"

Hermione was done bowing to authority figures, especially ones that were out to harm her Harry, "Well, following Harry's outstanding example of honesty. I'm quite sure Professor Snape wouldn't object to swearing an oath that he didn't just try to invade Harry's mind? That would easily clear up this whole misunderstanding. That would be the manly thing to do, wouldn't it Professor Snape?"

If looks could kill Hermione would be dead as Snape stared daggers at her. The confrontation was interrupted by the arrival of Gringotts owls, the sight of owls at dinner was a rarity but since they were easily recognisable as belonging to the wizarding bank then everyone paid attention.

One headed to the Hufflepuff table and delivered its message to Justin Finch-Fletchley, a pair landed at the Gryffindor table beside Ginny and Colin.

"Potter, what is this?" asked Justin.

"Compensation Justin."

Ginny's voice was quivering, "Harry, this is a cheque for fifty thousand galleons. Why are you doing this?"

"This payment is for the people who were attacked by the Basilisk......"

"Where's my owl then Potter?" shouted Ron who was still being worked on by Pomfrey.