Chapter 13

The next morning, straight after a wonderful breakfast that was again held on the terrace, they all climbed into the Toyota's and followed the track heading for the coast. The 'ten minutes from the beach' actually proved accurate, they just forgot to mention it was by car.

The small private beach gave the impression of everyone's idea of an idyllic tropical hideaway, but given the 'Victorian Britain' makeover. To access the beach, there was a winding wrought iron stairway that led down to a wooden slatted area running the entire two hundred meter length of the beach. The Victorian effect was added to by the brightly painted wooden beach huts, sitting prettily on about a quarter of the small wooden promenade deck.

Dan and Emma immediately fell in love with it, the setting couldn't help but evoke happy memories of childhood holidays spent at British seaside resorts, the main differences being that here they had brilliant sunshine and no donkeys stinking up the beach. British health and safety legislation had finally got around to passing laws on this and the 'children's donkey rides on the beach' trade was a respectable one now. That hadn't been the case when they were kids and it wasn't only jellyfish you had to look out for when paddling in the water.

The huts contained everything from loungers and parasols to surf boards and equipment to play games on the beach. With a barbecue, cooker, running water, showers, toilet facilities and food cupboards freshly supplied, the group could spend their entire holiday here.

While Dan and Emma set up a few loungers on the pristine sand, Harry emerged from the last hut carrying some hold-alls. Only when he started distributing the bags did their recipients realise they had their name printed on them.

"These are a gift from a grateful Barchoke for the help and respect you've given to, not only their champion, but the goblin nation as a whole."

Inside the bags were suits of custom made basilisk skin armour. "It's going to be bloody freezing in that water and I had discussed with Hermione buying non-magical wet suits to protect us against the cold of the Black Lake. These will provide warmth and a lot more besides, anything short of an unforgivable will hardly scratch these."

Luna could hardly contain her excitement at being included and when she examined her suit, it had the word 'PRESS' emblazoned on the back, earning Harry once again a kiss on the cheek from the little blond.

"Should I be getting worried Harry, giving gifts and receiving kisses from other girls. This is getting to be a habit." The humour in Hermione's voice had the group chuckling.

Harry was well aware Hermione was joking but had an answer ready for her. "There's one in there with your name on it too, I just didn't want you to think there was an option to accompany us on the task. Thanks to Xeno, these two are accredited members of the press, under tournament rules they are permitted to observe. There will again be hundreds of spectators, this time sitting bored out their skulls, watching the surface of the lake for an hour. With Dumbledore the only person who supposedly speaks Mermish, he could say anything and who could dispute it? This way the Quibbler's top investigative reporting team of Lovegood and Creevey get to tell the world exactly what happens while Rita sulks in the background composing her usual works of fiction."

Colin realised his Christmas gift would enable him to take the first pictures of the merepeople in their natural environment, "This will be another enormous scoop for the Quibbler."

"Yes, and for Lovegood and Creevey! We have the perfect opportunity to practice here, with the underwater sights being a lot more colourful than the bottom of the Black Lake in February will be. The sea is warded out to a hundred meters to repel any sharks so it will be perfectly safe."