Chapter 8

Emma was being introduced to the guests as they arrived. She'd already met the Gryffindor contingent in the castle yesterday but the rest were strangers, she definitely wanted to cast her eyes over this Fleur girl. Putting a rival for your boyfriend straight was something Emma could understand but then inviting her to dinner? Only Harry and her daughter could come up with something like that. She noticed the blond girl and, while no one could deny she was beautiful, Emma felt she was right. A worried Hermione had exaggerated the problem. That was until Hermione introduced the blond girl as Daphne Greengrass!

Victor Krum and Cedric Diggory were next to arrive and Emma found her hand being kissed by the handsome Bulgarian. Not to be outdone, the dashing Cedric followed the other champion's example.

Minerva and Pomona followed, expressing their delight at being invited. While Emma's attention was diverted, suddenly a girl who could only be Fleur Delacour was in front of her without warning. Emma's first instinct was to look for Dan but she crushed that mercilessly, if Hermione could invite this goddess to dinner then she was not going to embarrass her daughter. She greeted the girl in French before kissing her on both cheeks, pleased that she'd held herself together while proud of her daughter for the way she was handling this. If Harry could resist the charms of Miss Delacour because of his love for Hermione then any semblance of doubt or uncertainty was removed from her mind. Harry Potter was going to be her son-in-law one day and nothing she or anyone else said was going to matter.

Dan also greeted Fleur in the same manner as his wife, this was the girl who lost out to his daughter and all he could think of was that Harry had impeccable taste. Dan's love for his wife and daughter left him unaffected by any Veela allure. He would quite happily admit she was beautiful but, like Harry, in his opinion Hermione would always be the most beautiful girl in the world. Except for her mother of course.

The next guests shocked Hermione but, being with Harry she was starting to get used to things like this. After the girl stopped hugging and kissing Harry, Hermione found herself with her arms full of a very excited Penelope Clearwater.

"Oh Hermione it's so good to see you again. I was so happy to learn that you and Harry had got together, everyone else saw it but you two. I couldn't believe it when I got that owl from Gringotts, I screamed so much that Percy barged in with his wand drawn. That cheque changed our lives and now it looks like we both got our wizards."

Penelope flashed her new engagement ring and glanced lovingly at her fiancéé who was currently talking awkwardly with their host. "Don't mind him Harry, Percy dear has had a rather trying week. Your invitation arrived and I thought that's just what we need, dinner with some friends to celebrate our engagement!"

Penelope and Percy as a couple always reminded Harry of a little weather house his aunt Petunia had. The woman coming out indicating it was going to be sunny while the man's appearance forecast rain, both lived in the same house but never got together. Penelope was pure sunshine while Percy could cast a cloud over anything. If he mentioned 'cauldron bottom thickness' tonight then Harry would revoke both twin's promise of good behaviour and allow them free reign.

McGonagall informed him that Penelope had been writing to her, desperate to thank Harry for his generosity so he decided to get everything over with on the same night. His plans for the weekend included nothing but Hermione and some time to get to know her parents better.

Percy actually looked ill so Harry decided not to tease him too much. "Yeah things must be rough at the ministry when you discover that the Minister of Magic is the biggest crook in the country. Add to that the Head of International Magical Cooperation was using unforgivable's on his death eater son, who he actually broke out of Azkaban, to force his cooperation."