11

EXACTLY FOUR DAYS after Frankie was put under the Med-jacks' care, there were four important news

One, Frankie was well enough to join whatever feast Frypan had prepared for the rest of the Glade and even manage to finish her usual portion. Minho finally let her take part in the next day's running venture.

Two, Gally was awake. Living up to its name, the Changing really changed him; he became much more snappish, quiet, bitter and easily irritated. The Council members sincerely hoped that this edginess was only due to the fact that he had to spend a whole week, starting tomorrow, in the Slammer.

Three, this month's Greenbean is called Chuck, who arrived in the Box with wet pants and uncontrollable tears. Nick had the time of his life trying to coax him out.

Chuck was a short, pudgy kid with hair curlier than Clint's. Frankie guessed that he was probably twelve or thirteen years old, and it made her wonder what the shuck was the Creator's intention exactly? The kid wasn't even a teenager yet. He was just a kid.

Newt went to help Nick calm the little boy down. At first they thought of requesting a girl's help (Chuck was probably the youngest and the weepiest of all), but his level of talkativeness was probably over her level of tolerance and if it really was, she wouldn't really be much of a help.

Besides, after his whole ordeal, Newt made 'helping other people' his new life purpose. So it kind of fit.

Frankie helped Alby and the other Keepers distributing supplies instead.

That afternoon, their tradition started.

A tall structure of wooden scraps were placed in the center of the Glade and the Keepers surrounded it, each with a burning torch in hand.

"Keepers!" Nick instructed, the flaming conflagration was reflected on his pair of glasses, "Light it up!"

The Glade cheered as their leaders lit the campfire, marking the start of the celebration.

"Whoa," Chuck breathed, eyes wide. He was standing next to Newt, who stood next to Frankie. These two were the only Council members who weren't crowned as Keeper.