19

"NICK DIED

"NICK DIED."

Minho's eyes widened. He couldn't even spare some thought about how he looked when Zart delivered the news.

"He went into the Box hole and got himself sliced clean in two. Another shuck thing the Creators invented."

He just spoke to the shank this morning. What the klunk.

"He's lying in the Deadheads now. Gally made a see-through box as a reminder to never pull the same stunt again."

What the actual klunk.

"Alby's giving everyone a day off. No one's in their right mind now. He said there will be a Gathering first thing tomorrow morning."

Minho looked at Newt for any sign of denial or 'we were joking!' but his silence spoke louder than a thousand words.

Minho immediately dashed into the Deadheads. He carelessly swatted any branch or stem that stood in his way until the graveyard came into view.

He always hated coming here. There were too many names he felt familiar with. But he had to make sure... He had to make...

A rogue coffin stood in the center of the grave, propped up with a messily made wooden structure. It looked like it had no intention of being buried at all.

Minho half stumbled through the bushes. With every step he took, he wished that it was just a joke. A sick joke, but a joke nevertheless.

But Zart and Newt weren't pulling at his strings.

He was there, eyes closed, pale skinned. Someone had made sure that his hair was styled and his glasses were in tact, but that didn't change the fact that he was dead.

Nick. Nick was dead.

Sure, warning was probably needed. But Nick was his friend. One of the best, he dared to say. Minho couldn't bear to see him lying with whatever was left of his torso open for public display.

He ran his hand over the see-through glass and fell onto the floor.

"Nick, you slinthead," he hissed, slamming his fist onto the wooden box.