17

"LISTEN UP, SHUCKFACES!"

Every Runners ever recruited were stashed into the Map Room. Frankie craned her neck and tried to count the amount of heads left.

Stephen was back. That meant his broken leg was perfectly healed now.

"The Council agreed that you're all getting running buddies. You gotta make sure that you and your partner survive, preferably unscathed, in case you meet a Griever or the Creators say hello.

"Section One, Marc and Jacob. Two, Alfred and Dan. Three, Justin and Adam. Four, Joe and Kaye. Five, Sean and Lee."

Frankie's eyes met her former partner's and Stephen shot her a knowing smile.

"Six, Frankie and me. Seven, Stephen and Will. Any question?"

Frankie pressed her lips together and wondered if this was a deliberate attempt on his favor. She reminded herself that she would have a lot of time to ask him anything in private when they were out in the Maze.

"Good that," Minho said, "Take your time to study your new sections, shank. Stay safe and remember the rule still applies: thirty minutes before the Doors close, or you wish you're Ben right now."

As if on cue, Ben's alien scream erupted to fill every Glade's corner, including the Map Room.

"That's unfortunate," Stephen grinned as he passed her spot, "I was kind of hoping we'll end up as partners again. I can always count on you to have my back."

"Will's not bad."

"Will's not the best. You are," Stephen shrugged, "See you around, Frank."

"You too. Stay safe."

The boy jogged over to his new partner, leaving Frankie approachable for Minho.

"You ready, partner?"

"Is this what people call taking advantage of the situation?" Frankie inquired.

"What?" Minho grinned. It wasn't his usual full, genuine one, but it was definitely better than the look he had on his face during yesterday's Gathering. "Might as well have some fun ourselves, right?"

"Ugh," Frankie scrunched up her nose, "That sounds so wrong."

"Wrong? It sounds wrong if you have a dirty mind, and I certainly don't. What were you thinking, huh?" Minho teased.

"I'm gonna feed you to the Griever, I swear."

"But I'm all muscle, they're gonna need some time to chew."

"How do you manage to make everything revolves around you?"

"It's a talent, babe. Ow!"

"I dare you to call me that one more time—"