9 - Trangression

I stared at the photographs sprawled on the desk before me. I was dumbfounded. The marks looked too similar to the wound I had on my left collarbone. What made it more disturbing was that the injuries on the neck looked like a multitude of strangulation marks. But instead of bruises, the marks left behind looked like they were made by sharp and deadly blades. The cuts were so deep that it tore the skin and showed the muscle tissues beneath.

Inspector Harun looked me straight in the eye, "I'm going to ask you again nicely. How did you get that wound on your collarbone?"

"A. Penanggal. Did. It." I spat out each word.

"Again with the supernatural. Do you take us for fools?" Sub-inspector Javin slammed the table, making me jerk in my seat.

"Real creative," Inspector Harun said sharply as he walked towards the side of the desk and sat on the edge of the table. "Why not other "ghosts" like pontianak or pocong?" he shrugged loosely. "Instead, you make up a new one."

I asked with an exasperated sigh, "How can I make you believe me?"

"Start by telling the truth," Inspector Harun scoffed.

"It is the truth!" I almost screamed out in frustration.

"Your fingerprints were found on the victim's bicycle," Sub-inspector Javin tapped once on the table for emphasis.

"I never touched it," I gritted my teeth.

"A scuffle." Inspector Harun stood up and slid back the bottom hem of his jacket as he placed his thumbs in the pockets of his pants. Pacing up and down, he added matter-of-factly, "Victim was harmed but he got hold of the weapon. Slashed your collarbone in self-defence. Then, a struggle. You got your weapon back. Killed him in a rage." Inspector Harun sat down on the edge of the table again, brought his face closer to mine until we were head-to-head, "The question is, why?"

I narrowed my eyes angrily. "I'm a doctor. I save lives," I fumed.

Inspector Harun leaned back and folded his arms across his chest and tried to rile me, "Where did you hide the weapon, doctor?"

There was a knock on the door and I held my tongue. Inspector Harun opened the door, revealing an officer waiting patiently on the other side. The inspector walked out of the room and left the door slightly ajar. Sub-inspector Javin leaned back in his chair and studied my expression in silence as he waited for his partner to come back into the room.

I pricked my ears and focused on the conversation outside the room.

"I spoke to Mdm Marissa."

"Found anything?" Inspector Harun enquired.

"She was at the field with the suspect."

"So the bugger was telling the truth."

I snorted. Sub-inspector Javin placed his arms on the desk and eyed me suspiciously. I looked down at my feet, pretending not to eavesdrop on the conversation.

"Said there was an attack."

"And?"

"She spoke little. Started crying about her dead newborn. But, she did mention seeing a bicycle."

"Go on."

"She and the suspect were on the way to the hospital. It was obstructing traffic. She claimed the suspect got out of his car to move the bicycle out of the way."

My eyes widened momentarily as I connected the dots.

That was Rashid's bicycle?

"Anything else?"