16 - Vivers

The next day, my stomach growled hungrily like a savage beast as I rolled my head around grumpily on my desk at the office. Breakfast that Melati prepared for me in the morning tasted bland to the point that it was unpalatable. At least, she did not serve me spoilt food. I had stopped eating at the first bite and slipped away to the nearest peddling hawker that prepared soft-boiled eggs dashed with white pepper and soy sauce. The sharp hunger pangs felt like an army of praying mantis were stabbing me relentlessly with sharp mini-swords in place of their legs. I should have ordered extra.

I turned my head to the side and opened my eyes groggily. Out of habit, I flicked my wrist to look at the time, hoping that lunch was near.

That was the fourth time today.

I had forgotten that I was not wearing my watch. Again. My mind drew a blank on the last moment that I wore it on my wrist. I must have misplaced it somewhere.

I rose my head up slowly from the desk and was dumbfounded when something glinted at me. With my mouth agape, I rolled the item between my fingers.

Dr. M. Lim.

The prominent engraving was as clear as daylight. I could have sworn that my desk was empty before I laid my head down to rest earlier. I stashed the gold pen in my scrubs shirt pocket and sprung from my seat. I swung the door open, startling a few nurses who were walking by. I mumbled a hurried apology and squinted my eyes to see further down the hallway. I had no idea why I was searching for Kamsaton but there I was, scanning for her.

I sighed defeatedly as I walked back towards my office but I stopped short when the clock on the pristine walls stared right back at me. My spirits were lifted immediately.

It was time for lunch.

* * * ◊ ˚ ◊ ˚ ◊ ˚ ◊ ˚ ◊ * * *

"Pakcik, mee rebus satu mangkuk. (Uncle, one bowl of mee rebus.)" I raised my index finger slightly to the much older Malay man wearing a sarong, an off-white undershirt, a pair of slippers and a white religious cap on his head. 

I tried to find a comfortable spot in the crowded space where men in crisp, smart shirts and women in work dresses were happily eating their bowl of mee rebus. The aromatic, sweet and thick brown gravy made heavily with mashed sweet potatoes never failed to make my mouth water. The man was my favourite mee rebus seller because he added ground peanuts and udang geragau which were small krill shrimps, to the mix of ingredients. He always poured a generous amount of the gravy over the blanched yellow egg noodles and topped it with garnishes like sliced green chillies, crispy fried shallots, one hard-boiled egg, half a small lime, mini square fried beancurd and a drizzle of dark soy sauce. Just breathing in the rich flavours of the piquant dish was enough to make my mouth water. 

This street was always popular during lunchtimes with itinerant roadside vendors that whipped up food for customers on the spot. I carefully made way for a thin Chinese man with greying hairs under his straw hat as he balanced the shoulder yoke that was attached to a heavy basket at both ends. One of the baskets struggled under its weight as it contained a huge pot of boiling water while another basket was filled with an assortment of ingredients.

"Maaf, dah tak ada lagi, nak. Kalau nak, esok datang siang sikit, ye? (Sorry, it's finished, child. If you want, come earlier tomorrow, yes?)" the Malay man replied.

I forced my frown around into a tight smile, showing the much older man that there were no hard feelings. I walked away but stopped in a few steps when I heard the unforgettable catchphrase.