Chapter 11: Now

Liz

I strummed the last chord and let it ring out. It felt so good to hear the person at the mixer clap and know that I was finished recording the last song for my next album. The guitar was the last part left.

My two new technicians were smiling at me. It took a whole week once I found the melody for Stars, which alone took two days, so I was really glad it was all done.

Now that the recording was over, I had another day to wait for the final song to be ready, but then I'd have the entire album done. I was going to have the final track list done tonight, and the whole thing would go into production by the following week. I had a meeting the next morning with my manager to figure out my new schedule and what my first single would be so that it all would be set in motion.

To say the least, I felt accomplished and on top of everything and so far behind and swamped and anxious and amazing. The only thing that would have made finishing the album better would be having Gavin there to hear it, but that technician was busy with his manager and a gaming tournament he'd entered a while back.

That just meant we'd have to listen to it later. Together.

I stepped out of the booth and waited while the guys put the finishing touches to the music. I sat at my desk and looked at the letter David had given me. In the past week, I'd managed to mostly convince myself that David would want me to do this with Gavin, to try to find something I've been missing in my life.

My phone buzzed. I sat the letter down and checked it. Gavin was wanting to know if I was done yet and if I was, would I mind coming to help him celebrate his win. I blushed and told him I was done, where did he want me to meet him?

I stood and walked into the music room, listening to the beads clinking behind me. "Guys, I'm going to go. Could you make a copy of the final song on a thumb drive for me?"

"Sure thing," the head technician said. "Where do you want me to leave it for you?"

I shrugged. "Just leave it in my desk. I'll find it later. Thanks." I flashed a smile and went to my bedroom to get ready. Gavin texted as I opened my closet and I recognized the name of the place he chose. It was an upscale Italian place, though not high end. That meant I could dress up and not look weird, but I didn't have to go all out, either. I knew exactly what I wanted to wear.

Shay

The voices had been getting restless. Shay hadn't had any openings in a week or more to do anything. Yeah, she could have gotten into her bedroom and done something, but Liz was home. She was holed up in her studio, working. Liz would know if Shay did anything, probably before she could leave the house.

In the meantime, Shay could only clean. Yeah, that's what she was being paid to do, but she was tired of it. She wanted to move forward, not stand still.

She dusted a shelf with a little more vigor, trying to refrain from taking out her anger on it. A voice drifted to her from down the hallway along with the sound of a door shutting. She froze once she recognized the voice.

Liz.

Shay hurried around a corner where she wouldn't be seen and listened.

"I know, I know," Liz was saying now. "I have it all in my head, but I'll send you the email when I get back." A short silence as her footsteps slowly drew closer to where Shay was. "No, I want the song I just recorded to be the one. I'll have a copy I can show you tomorrow. I finished an hour ago, so they're still working on it. I'm going to go over it when I get back tonight and make the last few tweaks in the morning, so if you come for lunch it should be done."