Chapter 3

The atmosphere felt electric; tingling in the calm air was excitement, as those who neared the large windows of the palace watched the ceremony from above.

From the stands of the palace emerged a lady; her dress crystal white that shined vividly, heels clacked against marble, she gave off a regal appearance as she looked over the sea of faces gazing at the stand. She unsheathed a highly decorated sword before stepping down and walking toward the stage.

"That is Queen Julia, when she raises the sword above her head, bow." Rivet's speech became formal, unlike when he spoke to his mother though, Tug could tell that he was excited; his body shook and a smile wide on his face.

On the stage stood an accomplished knightess, decorated with a crimson cloak and a sword at her hip. A proud smile was planted on her lightly scarred face as the Queen stepped toward her.

All were silent, watching with respect as Queen Julia stopped just before the knightess, who kneeled before the ruler. The sword was raised, shimmering in the dull light as everyone else bowed in unison, Tug remembered to bow as a swift kick to the leg was dealt from Rivet.

"I dub thee as Lady Evette! May you serve your country well!" The Queen's voice rang out clearly and with well-mannered intent. The sword was placed on each shoulder of the knightess before being silently sheathed.

The newly dubbed Lady Evette straightened up and brandished her own sword, placing it close to her chest and facing it upwards. "I will follow my sworn duty to protect those that live in this country! Without falter, without hatred and without greed on my mind! Thank you, my Queen!" Her voice rang out just like the Queen's had, thick with pride and success.

The sword retreated into its sheath before the Queen bowed to the Lady and retraced her steps back into the palace. As the clacking of her heels slowly bled into the background, the sounds of cheering and applause rose up.

"Well, that was exciting, I always love seeing ceremonies." Rivet smiled, before taking a sip from his fruit punch. Discussions and debates sparked within the palace as nobles and scholars turned from the ceremony.

"Marcus, we haven't finished our argument!" Lily sparked up, hiding a small smile behind her hand as she engaged in conversation once again. "I may not have a Spirit, but I'm talented in Magic Casting, unlike you."

"Ooh? I didn't expect a baboon like you to be good at Casting." Rivet sneered, if he was aiming for a nerve, then he hit the right spot; Lily's ears turned several shades of red at his insult.

"A baboon?! You could barely summon correctly! That poor Spirit probably doesn't even understand most of what is going on! Let alone why you summoned him in the first place!" Tug couldn't help but nod as she tore into Rivet, whose cheeks burned red with embarrassment.

"Well... I was going to tell him, b-but the ceremony was just about to start a-and I didn't want to miss it..." He rapidly became a nervous wreck as Lily focused on Tug.

"What is your name, Spirit?" Her voice grew soft, a shy smile washed over Tug as Rivet silently had an epidemic. Food and drinks were placed down as they all relaxed, tired from a long day and in need of rest.

"M-my name is Tug, I don't know that much about where I am, or who I am... it's nice to meet you, Lily." With each word spoken, Tug's confidence grew.

"Nice to meet you too, Tug. I presume Marcus hasn't introduced you to Aylesbury properly?" A soft smile replaced Lily's smirk from before, the atmosphere around the palace became calmer as conversations died down and folk ate.

Tug shook his head solemnly as Lily turned to Rivet once again. "Come on, let us get out of this palace, it stinks of royalty." They both nodded to each other before making an escape for the windowed doors.

"Tug, I know you might want to know why you're here, but I think its best to leave it until we get back home." Rivet patted Tug on the shoulder, his sticky punch-soaked hand lingering for a moment.

"Miss Kuluna, your father requests your presence immediately." An upstanding servant emerged from the crowd as the trio almost made it to the door. A tired-looking Lily glanced back at the servant with a pursed lip.

"Can't you just tell him I'm busy?" Her voice ached with annoyance.

"Unfortunately I cannot, it regards a possible candidate for marriage." At the sound of 'marriage' Lily groaned and looked toward Rivet and Tug, who sadly waved goodbye.

"Fine! I will accompany you, but if it's another self-entitled prick then I'm gone." With that, Lily disappeared into the crowd, leaving Tug and Rivet to themselves.

"We should get going, Mother will be getting quite tipsy now, I don't want to be here whilst that happens." The hustle and bustle of nobles seemed to fire up once again as Tug and Rivet pushed passed, desperate for fresh air instead of wine-soaked.

With the sun's absence, the stars and moons quickly came out to play, twinkling and shimmering in the inky blue sky. The cold left a nasty shiver for Tug, who had to warm his hands together to battle the bitter air.

"Are we going back without your mother?"

"She'll be fine, even when drunk she's a force to be reckoned with. If things get bad, a guard will escort her back home." They stepped off the stairs and onto the cobbled road from before, inns and taverns sprung to life as people indulged on alcohol.

The atmosphere grew more relaxed as they retreated from the main roads and harsh commotion, Rivet scuffed his shoes across the road as Tug burrowed his hands into his pockets to shelter them.

"I know that I said I'd tell you when we got home, but I think now is the best time to tell you why I summoned you. Then perhaps we can explore Aylesbury tomorrow if you're up to it." The Spirit's eyes lit up at the idea of exploring the vast city.

"That sounds like a great idea, Rivet." They both stopped near a small café that had closed for the night, leaning against a sturdy fence and taking in the night.

"Tug, this might be jarring to you, I don't know... but the reason as to why I summoned you was that I need help finding my family heirloom."

"What's so important about your family heirloom?" Rivet stared straight at Tug, as if trying to bore a hole through him. A groan escaped the Caster's lips and he palmed his eyes as he recalled.

"I'm sorry, I forgot you don't recall things like this... Each noble family has an heirloom, it's a show of our status, power and influence. So if it goes missing, we become the laughingstock of the city. It's humiliating!" He clenched his fist, teeth-gritting in frustration.

Tug felt his heart grow heavier with sorrow, the dishonour and pain his family had to go through, a cold sweat ran down his face as he contemplated it.

"It's one of those things that slowly wears you down, isn't it?" Tug pulled Rivet into a warm hug, he stiffened for a moment before returning the kindness; wrapping his arms around his Spirit. "Spirits are meant to help their Casters, Don't burden yourself with every little thing Rivet."

"Thank you Tug, you're a little warmer than I pictured, being a Spirit and all. I'm sorry for giving you a bad name as well..."

"I like my name, so don't worry about it." At that moment, the Caster and Spirit stood up from the fence and braced the cold as they headed home for the night.