Chapter 13

As the hulking shadow of Tomas towered over him, Tug found it unbearable to stay upright; legs threatening to buckle each passing moment. His chest quickly growing tighter and tighter made it more difficult to breathe as he started to shake wildly.

"Tug, we need to make sure you weren't affected by what happened." Tomas' voice was fading out and echoing, as if placed in the back of a large room, far away from Tug. "I'm going to place my hand on your shoulder, and look you in the eye for 10 seconds, if nothing happens then we'll stop talking about all of this."

The Spirit's body threatened to shut down, fear battered itself against his insides and made him feel sick as it attempted to free itself. Tomas took another step forward and raised his hand, what looked like a calm, gentle smile on the adult's face seemed twisted and lecherous to Tug, his instincts going into meltdown as the rough calloused hand neared his shoulder.

He fought against his instincts, keeping himself planted to the spot and waited impatiently for it all to be over. The fact that he could feel time slow down as adrenaline rushed through him didn't help, dragging out what should have been a few seconds into what felt like days.

Finally Tomas' hand laid itself onto his shoulder with a soft thumping sound, the moment they made contact Tug could feel electricity run through his nerves and his instincts snapped at him, breaking his concentration and in turn breaking his mind as several flashes of the horrible smiling man who tried raping him took hold.

The sickening feeling from before erupted, churning Tug's stomach like a cauldron with a ladle, his legs quickly collapsed and everything else crumbled leaving a broken and withered Spirit crumpled on the cobbled street holding back a choked cry.

"I'm sorry, Tug, but this is for your own good, it's not prison; they'll treat you well, I can vouch for that."

Tug stayed on the ground, his eyes misty and voice distant as he whispered. "I can still remember the smell of his breath..." Everything came flooding back to the poor Spirit; the smells and sounds of the cell, the feeling of the rough-cut floor and the raw emotions drowned his senses and shut them down, causing Tug to blackout.

*^*^*^*

The first thing Tug could feel was the soft, light silky touch of a quilt; it stretched out over his body and keep it warm, soft pitter-patters of rain dripped against a window somewhere in the room. The crackling of a worn-out fireplace instantly told Tug where he was in the house; the study room where he was summoned.

He sat up from the velvet tomb he had been in, before suddenly regretting it; his head screamed in agony and started blaring signals to each of his limbs, a slow throbbing pain coursed through all of them.

Through gritted teeth and squinted eyes Tug managed to see around the study, searching for his Caster and expecting him to be tapping away a strange rhythm. He was met with an empty room, nothing but the bookshelves and fireplace to accompany the disorientated Spirit.

A soft and low groan escaped Tug's parched lips, sitting up felt like a chore and he hadn't even started to think about getting on his feet. The crackling fireplace yelled, spitting a smouldering ember at the floor as it rattled through his head and stunned him for a brief moment, the sound of shuffling feet and hushed whispers were barely noticeable outside the study room's doorway.

Everything that had happened so far felt so... unnatural to Tug, from Rivet and Lily starting their training with weapons, to Tug having to be dragged off to some barmy place to help him cope.

What still didn't make sense was how Tug was comfortable around Rivet, Tomas being in contact had reduced him to tears; yet around Rivet he still felt relaxed... perhaps because he saw Rivet as a boy, or because he was quite slim and younger looking? Multiple ideas ran through his mind, attempting to solve the puzzling question, none seemed to feel like the right answer though.

Two figures walked through the doorway to the study and shuffled toward Tug. He recognised Rivet instantly, a weak smile was flashed at him by the Caster as the second figure sat down in a lush chair opposite Tug, straightening her back and clearing her throat.

The woman was middle-aged; with wrinkles and streaks of grey hair to prove it, green wise eyes stared back at Tug with curiousness. She wore a simple white dress shirt and slacks, a small blue bow was tied into her hair, stopping loose strands from blocking her sight.

"Hello there, I'm Lunia. You're Tug, aren't you?" Tug stayed quiet.

The few moments of silence were quickly broken by Lunia, who carried on casually. Rivet flashed a hopeful look at Tug and slowly slinked out of the room, as Tug silently cursed him for putting him in the given situation.

"I've been told about what happened and I think I can help, see The Farm is about helping people heal from traumatic events in their life, We've been able to help all types of races, whether they're Elf, Orgols, Kijin or Human."

"What would you make me do?" Tug finally spoke out, his voice hoarse from lack of water.

"You would be asked to take part in looking after a farm, tidying up and clearing out weeds, move cattle and take part in sessions." Lunia smiled, showing an empty bright smile to the Spirit.

"Sessions? Is it like a group activity?" Tug poked a hole in the quilt that was laid over him, twirling his finger around the edge before clearing his lungs.

"Yes, Everyone would sit around in a circle and talk about how they feel, what's happened to them in the past day or so... It helps relax them into more sessions throughout their life."

"How long will it take?" The wind howled against the windows of the study room; desperate to delve deep into the warm and cosy room that sheltered the Spirit.

"From what I have heard about, for you? I can see this taking a few years, Five at the most."

Tug stayed on the lounger, his mind slowly brewing over what would be happening. "Would I still live here? Or would I start living at The Farm?"

"You would still live here. It doesn't take that long to get to the farm, it's about a half hour walk, so it won't drain you."

"When would I start? Tomorrow?"

The tanned woman tapped her nails against her knee, her rhythm was unlike Rivet's; it was too dull. The sound of rain and wind grew eager as they rattled the windows once again; a raging storm seemed imminent that night.

"We can get ready for you tomorrow; it takes a few hours of me speaking with the other Helpers."

"Helpers?" Tug's eyes narrowed.

"That is what we call ourselves, it always seemed better than any other names we could come up with. Is there anything else you would like to know?"

Tug racked his brain, finding nothing that seemed to alert him. "Not really, nothing comes to mind."

Rivet finally showed himself, leaning against the doorway to the study; a solemn expression hung on his face, paired with a weak smile as he kept glancing over at the Spirit. Tug had expected to feel anger toward the Caster for what he had done, but as he stared deeply toward him, he could only feel at ease with his actions.

"Miss Yen, I think it's time for your departure, shall Tug be seeing you tomorrow?"

"Why of course, Tug will need to be informed on what will happen for his first day." Lunia flashed a yellow smile at Rivet, before standing up from her chair and walking out the room, leaving Rivet and Tug to talk; or wallow in dingy silence.

As the silence slowlyswelled, a heavy weight was thrown upon the Spirit's shoulders and his beatingheart grew ever colder.