Chapter 3 | Dolores Park | Part 2

"Unfortunately, my parent's rigged it so I don't receive any funds if I...displease them," Theo said.

"And is that what you're doing by taking a break?" Nora asked.

"Most definitely."

"If you don't want to be an attorney, what do you want to do?"

"Good question." He paused as Pumpkin christened a fire hydrant. "My parents own a vineyard. Well...my dad owns a vineyard and my mom owns a winery. It started out as an investment-slash-hobby for them, but since the divorce, it's become an actual necessity, at least for my mom. I help her out with the business. Everything from pouring wine in the tasting room to flying off to Burgundy to talk grapes with French vintners."

Nora's curiosity was piqued even more. "I take it your father has a job."

"He's a VP in management consulting at Moorehaven."

Nora nodded. Even she had heard of the global mega-firm that employed the brightest and best from the top universities of the world, including the offspring of former U.S. Presidents and U.K. Prime Ministers.

"He travels a lot, gets very little sleep, and mostly works." Theo pressed his lips together, and shook his head at some unspoken thought. She didn't press.

"The wine business is all right," Theo continued, his voice growing brighter. "And the Napa Valley is awesome. Lots of hiking and rock climbing, stuff like that. I take some online business workshops, and I teach swimming, too."

Nora smiled. "Really? Like, to kids or adults?"

"Mostly kids. I used to lifeguard and I was on the swim team in high school and college. I teach about once a week because I'm busy with the winery, but I wish I could do more. I love working with kids. They're so...I know this is cliche, but they're so unvarnished. Everything they say, everything they do...their emotions are just laid out, heart-on-sleeve style. " He paused, thinking it over. "I would have liked to teach, I think. Not adults though. After I graduated from college I did some tutoring at a community college. It was okay, but not for me." He seemed lost in a memory, one that brought a pained look to his face.

"You could still teach kids, though," Nora said. "It's never too late to get your credential, right?"

"Ah," he waved his hand, dismissing his dreams. "My mother would kill me."

Nora sensed it was a good idea to let the subject drop.

"So, swimming, hiking, and rock climbing. Sounds like a lot of exercise." What a dork!

He smiled. "Yeah, I guess. I like going off the grid sometimes, but Napa is pretty plugged in. If it weren't for my family, I don't know if I'd stick around."

She was puzzling this over when he asked, "What about you, Nora? Do you like running an English-Irish-Chinese tearoom? Is it the end all be all of your existence?"

She knew he was teasing, but she had to be honest. "I do. I do like it. I guess I'm lucky that way." Was it pathetic to know what you wanted to be when you grew up and you were only in your mid-twenties?

"I envy you," Theo said, all kidding aside. He nudged her with his shoulder and she tried not to shiver at the spark she felt from the contact. "But you must at least have a hobby. And don't say its reading tea leaves."

"I actually do have a hobby. I play the guitar."

"Really? Are you any good?"

She laughed. "My, you are direct. I can hold my own around a campfire."

"I'd love to hear you play some time."

"Sure. Some time."

"What kind of music do you like?"