∆ 4 ∆

Layton

imagine this:

you are driving home, it's another average day then BAM. a deer runs out in front of you, shocked at how bright the headlights are.

That's what Colby looked like when I told him. Now he's sitting in my passenger seat, staring ahead in silence.

°
Colby climbed into the passenger seat of my car, giving me a wide eyed at the heavy, hot air. I quickly turn the car on, apologizing.

"it's all good, what did you need to talk about?", he played with the multiple rings on his fingers.

I twisted my lips, and stared out the passenger window. I was a nervous mess.

"So do you remember that night we had a party at your apartment, when you first moved here?", I stare at him as he nods his head, making direct eye contact with me.

"of course i do, i miss those days.", he chuckled.

so do I.

I let out a frustrated sigh, hating that I can get the words out of my life. I was scared. I was scared to break Anesme's heart. I was scared to get my heart broken.

"I got pregnant because of that night."

°
Colby

I run a nervous hand through my hair as I try to process what she said:

i got pregnant
i got pregnant
i got pregnant

I stare at the girl who was once my closest friend, feeling my chest tighten. I got an innocent girl knocked up at eighteen, all because we were two young ass kids who thought we knew what love was. my child has went all this time without a father all because I was to scared of my own feelings.

"why didn't you tell me? why wait... what? four years?", my tone was harsher than i intended making her cringe, tears threatening to spill out.

"I was stupid, okay Cole? I know, but I was scared and you randomly dropped me! what was i supposed to do, chase you down?", she argues back smacking the steering wheel. I rolled my eyes looking out the window. I did not expect this to happen.

She looked exactly how i remembered, only her features more mature. She still had her high cheek bones. same yellow, green eyes. her skin more darkened than usual. her hair was now dyed, a dark gray that was beginning to fade. you could see her natural roots as they were being pulled back into a perfect bun. still the same short Layton I knew back then with an attitude. But she had this glow about her, like nothing could fuck with her.

I was mad at Layton, that was no doubt. but i refuse to argue in a parking lot, nor do i want to start off a friendship this way. If she actually had my child, than I want us to get along. for his/her sake.

"I want to see them.", I mumble lowly. She looks taken back, probably expecting me to yell at her and call her a liar. but I couldn't, it made perfect sense. There were countless times where we hooked up, and were stupid enough to go raw. and i knew her well enough to know that she wouldn't be sleeping around with randoms.

She scrolls through her phone in silence, turning it towards me after she tapped away on her phone. I stare at her quizzically, taking it from her to look at the picture.

Everything turned slow motion as I stared down at the picture. A little girl who resembles me in so many more ways than one, stood with a giant smile, giving the camera a thumbs up. She had messy brown curls that were pulled up in a ponytail. she wore a sunflower dress and matching yellow shoes.

her face was chubby like mine, something I hated as a child. her dark blue eyes were just like my mom and I's. eyelashes thick like Layton's, making her eyes appear bigger than they were. she was a total doll, and I couldn't believe that she looked so much like me.

I'm a dad. holy shit. I'm a fucking dad.

i clear my throat and blink away the tears, taken back from the sudden news. I could have never guessed this would happen. But I'm going to try my hardest to the best dad there is. I don't want to her growing up without a father, that's not fair. I want to watch her grow up. I may not be ready, nor do i know what I'm about to get myself into, but I can do it. I know I can.

"Wh-what's her name? She's gorgeous.", she gave me a look of pity, as a small pout plays on her lips. I quickly wipe the tear that had fallen refusing to let her see me cry,  "Anesme. I don't know, I thought it was cute. I call her Ness or Esme."

" Anesme... I like it.", I look at the picture a little longer before handing back her phone. I watch Layton type away on her phone, admiring her. I couldn't be mad at her. She took care of my child on her own, because I made her feel like I wanted nothing to do with her. That if she told me she was pregnant back then, I would've left and never came back.

Truth is, I might have. I would be scared shitless at eighteen, with a baby on the way. i'm 22 now, I helped make a child and I'm gonna help take care of her from here on out if she allows me.

"I don't know if you are happy about this or not. Or if you even want to be a part of her life, I just began to feel guilty. She sees everyone have two parents, so she started asking where you were. and yes, I'm one to blame because you deserved to know. I was just so scared Cole.",

I sigh and rub my thumb against her hand, " It's okay Layton, I'm not mad. I understand why you did it. This is all a lot of take on, but im gonna be around now. For my daughter's sake, I already love her and I haven't even met her."

it was partially a lie, no matter how many times i say im not mad, part of me still is. I have a right to be upset, this is a big deal.

Layton looks surprised at my choice of words, probably because she thought i would run and never call her back, like last time. this is legit, i have to grow up and do this. My mom's gonna kick my ass once she hears, but it's expected.

"Do you have anything to do later? I can bring her to you, so you can meet?", my eyes widen and i nod eagerly. I wanted to see her in person.

"Wait, you will really bring her over? Are you going to tell her who I am?", I nervously muttered. She laughs lightly, as her heads moves side to side, motioning yes.

My heart beat quickens, I'm actually meeting my daughter for the first time. holy shit.

"Okay, this is actually happening. holy shit, okay. I will text you once I have my apartment picked up and cleaned, it wont take me that long. Do I need to get anything?", her eyes widened at my sudden panic. I really wanted this to go well, I was curious as to how I would react and how Anesme would react.

Anesme, such a unique name

Layton laughs at me with a raised brow, before patting my back roughly, "Calm down, you are overthinking it. I'm sorry I waited all this time to tell you, I feel terrible about it honestly."

" Don't, s'all good. I'm gonna head back to my apartment, I'll text you my address and shit.", we say our goodbyes, which were somewhat awkward, before going our own ways. I quickly dial Sam's number, leaving it on speaker as the phone laid in my lap.

this is it, my life has to change from here on out.

••••••••••