7

14 hours on the river

The air was thick and cold. You could feel the moister in it and felt yourself getting a cold that you absolutely couldn't get. You felt around for the kids and patted them making sure the kids were still bundled up.

As far as you could tell, it's been a very long time since you all got on the river. And judging from the little amount of light you could see through the blindfold, you have no clue.

You say on the bench while Boy and Girl sat on the floor in front of you. Your butt has long since went numb to the point your legs started to tingle.

Malorie grunted from the effort of rowing and the amount she's done. You would try to get her to stop, but. "Malorie, just let me row for a bit. You're going to over work yourself." You would whispered to her, "I'm fine (y/n)." She would whisper back.

It would never work.

You put your hands on the kids' shoulders as a way to calm them and in a way, yourself.

"Hello!" A man yelled, you both froze. Malorie stopped rowing and you stopped breathing. Your grip on the kids shoulders tightened. "Do you guys need some help?!" He continued. You slid onto the floor with the kids and held them to you as they hugged each other.

"It's okay to take your blindfolds off." The dick was going after the kids! "Do not take your blindfolds off. Do not!" Malorie persisted, rowing faster. Even the water seemed to be getting anxious from the way Malorie hit the water with the oars.

"I've got some food. Those kids kids look hungry." "Get down! Get down! Get down! Down. Down. Down." She pushed the kids heads and you grabbed the blanket covering them with it. I felt Girl grab my hand and you squeezed back.

You hear the click of the gun Malorie had as she slid it out. You heard her hand going across the kids backs and your hand. You jumped a little bit but tapped back, a little code you guys developed when you were 16.

"Heeey, little buddies. Have you ever seen a baby deer?" His voice sounded so convincing, and you swore you could hear the voice getting closer. But it sounded like it was surrounding you all. Like it was just by your ear, but also out in the trees.

"I'll tell you a secret, I found one in the woods." He went quiet. Your body felt like metal as you kneeled there, waiting for him to get you all. You hear the shaking of the gun and Malorie's breath quicken. You could only assume that she's moving it.

"Okay. I know you're scared. Well, listen, there's no need." The sloshing of the water didn't help you pinpoint the direction of where the voice is. All you could tell that it was getting closer.

You felt for your boot and slowly slid Tom's hunting knife out of it. Making sure it wasn't making any noise and it was out of sight. You say up onto the bench and slowly moved your head back and forth.

"I'm not here to hurt you, I can pull you ashore-" Malorie shot the gun and the kids whimpered.

You moved your eyes under your blindfold, only seeing black. Not able to rely on sight, you peeled you ears, trying to hear anything. Malories breathe got heavy and your breath seemed loud as well. Everything buzzed, and for a second everything was still. Before, "Take your goddamn blindfold off!"

The birds went crazy.

The boat shook and you hear the struggling. Malorie yelled and the man laughed. You then lurched forward swinging your knife side to side. And from the yell of pain the man gave, you had hit him. You kept stabbing the air, swinging into nothingness, hoping you hit him. And the sound of a gunshot rang out and the man stopped yelling. It was silent, only the sound of the rushing river and silent cries could be heard. Besides one whisper.

"It will cleanse the world."