A Wanking Acquaintance

THREE.

"The King asks your presence, my lady," a pink-faced girl said quietly. Amanda glanced at Francois before turning to the girl and motioning out. "Please."

They walked her to a door that told of imperiality. The solar lived up to its purpose, out of the way, secluded, and with a door thick enough to prevent eavesdropping. She would need her own people stationed in and outside whatever the door sealed. The guard accompanying them swung the door open, Francois entered first before she followed.

He. The wanker. The irresponsible youth whose mother ran the court on his behalf. He was serving himself a drink. Wine, perhaps? 

He turned at their entrance and waved them forward. He said, "Please, sit."

Francois motioned her to the long uncomfortable bench before retreating to stand beside her. The King laughed. "I promise you, I do not plan to ravage your cousin-"

Cousin?

"-but I would very much speak to her alone. If we are to be...wed, I believe we should acquaintance ourselves-alone."

Her brother who for some reason was now a cousin raised a brow at her in askance. She gave an indiscernible nod. Twas for the best; perhaps with Francois out of the way, the king would take her for what she was supposed to be and drop his guard. Despite how relaxed he look, sitting on a chair that had the seal of Plantagenet carved into it, she could taste his tension.

Francois left. The door closed silently behind him and she felt the king watch her while she pretended to study the table between them in submission.

"You are beautiful," he stated.

Strong opening line Sir.

She smiled and inched her head forward. "Thank you," she said softly, hoping he would continue. Perhaps something of value would slip. Lust-addled men were the worst secret holders.

"And I would like to sleep with you."

How astonishing, sir. How utterly perplexing.

"I believe..." she furrowed her brows, "that should come after the wedding night? No?"

He laughed again. "Did I, did I say something wrong?"

"No. No, it should, according to God's law happen after the wedding but. But I do not want to marry you. Or anyone else, at least not now."

He studied his glass. "But, I must say, I am certainly impressed"

"By the wine?" she snarked. Almost too sharp. Almost but damn the man, he had barely paid her any attention. The blasted man was supposed to be wanker who would chase the hint of breast and feminine suggestion and he was yet to look at her. She didn't have time for this.

He looked up. And smiled. Again.

Amanda wanted to knock that smile off. Why, he had a lot to be happy for.
"With the wine, yes. But you are impressive. Beautiful."

"Surely your majesty," she started drolly, "You must recall saying that."
"Yes. but something said twice is better emphasized, no?"
"Ah."

"Like I said, I don't want a wife. I didn't want a wife apparently, I've been given one." he cocked his head at her, she averted her gaze. "I hear your family is almost royalty in France. Tell me, do you speak French? I also hear you were given thorough English lessons for our impending union and your English sounds good."

He waved his hand around. "No accents. I suppose it must have affected your mother tongue. So? Do you speak French?"

She blushed in shame. "Not very well. Not anymore. My family wanted to please the English crown so I was made to speak English all the time." till the French died.