A Puppet on Strings-7

A Puppet on Strings

Chapter seven.

"What did you think of her?" Richard asked as he stood before the burning wood. The duke's golden hands sparkled from the fire's love.

"She is sly, I don't think we should trust her, plus she is the brother of Lord Guy Harcourt. Surely she's up to no good." Williams mused, turning his glass in his hands.

"Well, I liked her." the duke declared. "For something else apart from her beauty?" Williams shot. Michael glared. "For her beauty and Richard's offspring in kind. You would make picturesque children for sure."

Williams sighed. "Can you, for one moment be serious Michael? This is a serious business."

"What did? Sitting here debating about a woman Richard is most definitely going to marry to piss his mother off? She doesn't like her, by the way. Your mother loathes the girl, all the more reason I adore her and say we move on with the union." Williams sighed again. "Oh, stop being prissy Williams, you know as well as I do that, he chose from the most disjointed families in France to piss his mother off."

"What we are trying to decide is, Michael, if she is acting on her own or not."

"And what difference does it make? If she is not a puppet, she would be more dangerous. I say we hope she is."

A vein was popping in William's face, the duke and the earl always butted heads. Strangle, considering Richard and Michael were expected to clash the most. He sighed and got ready to intervene when John spoke, startling him. The man rarely spoke that when he did, everyone was compelled to listen.

"There is no need to start an argument. You've spoken with her at length, Williams, what do you think about her?"
Williams glared at the duke who winked at him before turning to respond to John.

*+*

It was there. Amanda couldn't believe that something so simple could please her.

"When did it arrive?"

"Few minutes before yourself, milady."

"How...urgent." she murmured, her fingers delicately tracing the red emblazoned letter. "Thank you, no, I will not be needing your assistance tonight."

When the door was closed behind her, she sat slowly and peeled the letter from the envelope. It was simple, a command.

"My dearest lady Amanda, would you honour me with your presence in my bedchamber?"

Yours, Richard.

Hm. she tossed the letter on her table and began to undress. Hopefully, the moon will be bright tonight.

*+*

The moon was bright, and it watched silently, its silver mouth shut as noblemen plotted.

"He is getting out of control. He believes he owns the court; he believes the court answers to him. And it's beginning to happen. You promised me the crown, where is it?!"

"We cannot make any sudden moves, your highness, the king is-"

"He is bringing more allies into the court. That snake, Lancaster, is back in court alongside the outcast. He is creating a barricade and soon it would be too high for you, any of us to climb through."

"You must calm down your highness," the duke of Stafford said serenely. The man was famous for his lack of extreme emotions. "You are right, and we see it. But he is young-"

"Exactly." she cut in briskly. "Can't you see it? He is changing the court, slowly, but it is happening. Sons are inheriting their fathers' positions fast and who do you think the younger nobles would follow? The decaying old or a sprangly young?"