Chapter Fifty Nine

Ash sat with her hand curled in her lap, an oversized sweater making her look like she was wrapped in a blanket. Layla sat on the couch next to her with her legs crossed, the pair facing each other as they talked.

"Anyway, enough about me, what's going on? What did you need to tell me about? You can't just tell me you have big news and then put off telling me by asking how I've been." Layla asked, faking frustration and watched as a small grin made its way onto her best friends face.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Ash said with a cheshire cat smile, and Layla rolled her eyes, knowing she was going to make this difficult.

"Oh for God's sake, spit it out, what's going on?" She demanded, chuckling under her breath as she did.

"Nothing much, just the usual." Ash said. But as she did so, she brought her left hand from her lap, which had been concealed by her sweater and started gesturing with it in front of Layla's face. She looked at her friend with confusion for a second before something glinted in her eye. She focused on Ash's hand closer, and found a diamond ring placed on her ring finger. Layla stared at it for two seconds, processing what it was, before she let out a shriek and grabbed her hand.

"OH MY FUCKING GOD!!" Layla shouted and Ash joined in.

"WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?" She demanded and Ash waited for her to calm down before she continued to talk.

"Two days ago, when you were flying home. Jeff took me to the park, near those trees where he asked me to be his girlfriend for the first time. He started talking all sentimentally and I thought it was cute and then BAM, out of nowhere he's down on one knee, and I'm saying yes." Ash rushed out and the pair screamed together as she was telling the story.

Layla couldn't believe it. To think that when they first started out the both of them had agreed that it was a casual sex-only thing. And now they were engaged. Jeff was still a child in her mind so the thought of him being engaged was laughable, but still made her want to do a happy dance. Two of her best friends in the world were getting married, and they were so in love in was unreal.

"I don't even know where to start with planning it. Me and Jeff agreed that we wanted to get married as soon as possible, we don't care if it's only a small wedding, we want it to happen soon. But I haven't got the slightest idea of how to go about things." Ash said and Layla agreed it was going to take a lot of organising. Before she could voice her opinion, Ash continued on.

"Which is why I thought it would be best if I had someone who helped me with this. Someone who knows what their doing when it comes to planning something, and who knows me and Jeff best. So, L, would you make me the happiest bride in the world and be my Maid of Honour?" Ash asked and a massive grin make itself onto Layla's face.

"Of course I will! Oh my God, this is going to be amazing." Layla said and looked to her friend, only to find an odd expression on her face.

"Ash?" She asked timidly. Ash took a deep breath before she spoke.

"There was something else as well. Jeff's already chosen who he wants as his best man, and it's Eddie. He helped him pick out the ring and everything so it was kind of already decided. And obviously Eddie was going to be in the wedding anyway, but if he's best man you guys are going to be working together closely and having to be around each other a lot." Ash said and Layla could feel her heart sink at the mention of his name. No matter how much she tried to convince herself, she knew she would never be over him fully. The thought of seeing him caused a pain in her chest, especially when she thought about whether he had moved on with someone or not. Ash had always kept clear of speaking about him around Layla, and Jeff also kept his mouth shut, but now it seemed there was no way she could avoid him.

"Look, you're my best friend in the world, and I want you to be by my side when I get married. But I also don't want you to be uncomfortable, and for this to be a shit time for you either, since I know how hard it's going to be."Ash continued and Layla nodded.

"Ash, I love you, and I'm going to be there no matter what. Even if it kills me to be around him, this is your wedding and there's no way I'm going to ruin it by letting my feelings get in the way of it. It will be fine." Layla reassured her, and pulled her friend in for a hug. The two embraced for a while before Ash finally pulled back.

"When you think about it, this could be a good thing. I mean, he hasn't seen you in two years. If you turn up looking like an absolute bombshell it will probably be funny to watch him be tortured while you walk around all seductively, wishing he still had you." She said and the pair laughed, although it failed to be fully genuine for Layla. She doubted any displays of happiness she was going to have in the future would be genuine.