chapter 1

[ reader's pov ]
•••

my parents told me about the red string of fate at a young age.

the red string appears when two people, who are meant to be together, first make eye contact. it can be stretched or tangled, but it will never break.

and ever since then, i've been waiting for the day that I would meet my soulmate.

•••

beep. beep. beep.

"(y/n), get out of bed, your alarm has been going off for five minutes and it's your first day of school!" my mom screeched from downstairs.

lazily, I got out of bed and put on my new school uniform. afterwards, I made my way downstairs into the living room.

"cuz guys like us are cool in college..." I sung to myself as I prepared to leave.

after eating breakfast and getting myself prepared, I left the house. a smile had made its way onto my face, despite the anxiousness I was feeling.

'I hope my class is cool...'

•••

walking through the halls of ua for the first time this school year, I took in my surroundings. tons of students were gathered in the hallways, rushing to their designated classroom.

soon, I found myself standing in front of the door of class 1a.

I took in a deep breath. 'it's going to be fine. just open the door,' I thought to myself.

I hesitantly opened the door to see a classroom filled with students. a boy was admonishing another dude sitting on a desk. the rest of the boys were already acquainted and laughing crazily about something. and the girls were raving about each other's hair. in all honesty, it was kinda chaotic.

i already loved the class!

before I took a seat, I looked at the boy being yelled at. he simply rolled his eyes at the other boy's reprimanding.

when he was about to turn his head, I quickly looked away.

"oi! what are you looking at, extra?" I winced as the class went silent.

"sorry about that i-" as I looked at his eyes, there was a light tug on my pinkie. I looked down at it, only to see a red glow around my hand.

and suddenly, the glow disappeared to reveal a string. I looked at where the string ended, and found myself looking at the spiky blonde before me.

his eyes went wide as we stood in silence. "i-"

he merely scowled at me and returned to his actual seat before I could say anything more.

seeing as all the seats seemed to be taken, I sat across the room from him. in front of me was a pink-skinned girl and behind me was a girl with long, green hair.

I glanced at the string on my pinkie and followed its direction to the boy, whose attention was on the window.

the pink girl in front of me turned around with a smile. "hi, im mina!"

I smiled. "i'm (y/n)."

"what was that about a second ago? why'd y'all stop talking?" mina asked me.

'oh right. only we could see the string. nobody saw what we had just saw.' I thought.

I flashed her what I hoped to be an innocent smile. "nothing, maybe i'm just intimidating!" she laughed.

"I don't think so. you seem pretty cool."

before our conversation could continue any further, a large caterpillar entered the room. it turned to reveal a face with tired eyes and a frown.

I held back a snicker. 'so that's our teacher? this class just got more interesting.'

he briefly introduced himself as mr aizawa, then continued on to tell us about the plans for today. "we'll be having a quirk apprehension test," he explained.

'well shoot.'

~~~

a/n: hope u enjoyed!