chapter 8

[ reader's pov ]

that's it. i'm done for. I wish that mosquito I found in my dorm room had bitten me and given me a virus.

but nope.

there I was, walking to the door. I took in a deep breath, preparing to probably get beaten up for so much as uttering the word soulmate.

I turned the door handle and pulled the door inward, causing a certain redhead to stumble backwards.

he immediately shot up and looked at me nervously.

"h- hi, (y/n)!" he said, trying to sound cheery.

I nodded in acknowledgment. "what are you doing here?"

he laughed awkwardly. "just wanted to come and talk with my best buddy!"

"oi!"

I stepped out the door to see bakugou leaned against the wall, glaring at kirishima.

"you're my best buddy too bakugou, but this isn't the time, man!"

I rolled my eyes. "ok, but what are you doing here? seriously?"

bakugou grumbled. kirishima sighed and took over for him. "this crooked lamppost over here has something to say to you."

I bit my lip. what now? was he gonna yell at me for being clingy despite me trying to avoid him? or maybe yell at me for avoiding him but then tell me to get out of his face?

both seemed very likely.

"look, I'll take the girls out here w me and y'all can talk ur issues out." kirishima took a step through the doorway and waved a hand at mina and jirou.

frowning, the two got up from their seats to walk out in the hallway.

bakugou, being the stubborn kid he is, had to be pushed inside my room by kirishima.

I sat on the floor and gestured for him to sit with me. he clicked his tongue and sat on my office chair.

"bakugou, I dunno what I did but i'm sorry," I said, avoiding his (lowkey scary) gaze.

it had been a couple of days since we'd been this close and i'd almost forgotten about his stare.

"shut up, u moldly loaf of bread, don't u dare apologize, you hear me?"

I raised an eyebrow. "don't apologize? why not? wait- did u just call me a moldly loaf of bread-"

he glared at me, causing me to shut up. "ur starting to sound like that idiot deku," he mumbled under his breath. "you better stop hanging with him."

"what'd you say, katsu?"

"don't call me that."

"you called me a moldy piece of bread," I replied with a shrug. "so what'd you say?"

he turned his head, staring at my wall. "I said don't hang out with f**king deku."

I frowned. "why not? he's been more welcoming than... someone I know."

"yeah?" he started to raise his voice slightly. "it's not my fault I... I..."

he growled as he clenched his fist.

his voice then lowered to a whisper, almost silent. "I don't know what the f**k i'm supposed to do, ok?"

I reached my hand out to his hunched figure. his hands were on his knees, propping up his head.

I'd never seen him... so fragile.

I was scared, in all honesty.

no.

I was worried.

where was the strong, overconfident bakugou I knew?

and the worst part of it all was, I didn't know what to say to him.

what good are words when they're all just empty promises?

I got up from the floor , and walked to his side. I wrapped one arm around his shoulder as I looked down at his head softly.

he raised his head to look at me.

"this is f**king stupid."

a tear began to fall down his face.

he then put his arms around me and pulled me closer, hugging me tightly.

no words needed to be said at that moment.

I felt his shaking body clinging to mine, as of letting go meant his demise. I returned the hug, allowing him to cry in the crook of my neck.

bakugou never seemed the type to be so fragile.

but I guess, sometimes, the most fragile people are those who don't show it.

and yet, here he was. letting his guard down in front of me of all people. seeking comfort from me.

I patted his back comfortingly as he continued holding on to me. I then whispered into his ear,

"don't worry. im here for you."

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

a/n : not very well written but yo girl is sobbing nonetheless 😎💯‼️ also enjoy the nicknames, courtesy of my friends