Author's Note

A huge, resounding thank you to CarKann for the amazing cover!

Author's Note

This project started five years ago as an unformed, and completely undeveloped, National Novel Writing Month ambition. 

I spent that November jotting down random scenes in my head, becoming acquainted with the characters and their unique quirks: one, a sixteen-year-old kid with obsessive-compulsive disorder; and the other his next-door neighbor, a creepy psychopath tangled in a small town murder mystery.

This definitely hasn't been my typical run-of-the-mill project. It started off with a character named Cooper Daniels, and bloomed into a fully-fledged murder mystery seemingly overnight. The dynamic of the characters came first. The plot, last. 

A long hiatus (otherwise known as college) buried this project for four years. It wasn't until my senior year of college that I picked this back up, brushed off the dust, and began breathing life back into it. And now, some months and a lot of coffee later, The Psychopath Next Door is complete. And she just won a 2020 Watty Award for the Mystery/Thriller category! 

Thank you to anyone and everyone who stuck with Cooper and Calla through their first fumbling steps. As I reflect on the journey that began five years ago, I have all of you to thank! You are, without a doubt, what motivates me. 

And for those of you who are reading for the first time: enjoy! 

Copyright © 2019 by Carson Faircloth

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.