26

My eyes fixed on my mom, mind finding it hard  process all she just said.

"You're to stop work there" I replayed her words in my head.

She had just informed me for whatever reason known to her that I had to stop working at the Williams mansion, because she had enrolled me into a public school, which was not far from where we lived.

According to her, I had to begin school the next day.

"Mom, you should have at least asked me first, before enrolling me into any school" I uttered, interrupting her.

"Aren't you tired of staying home doing nothing, while your peers go to school and learn?" She questioned.

"Of course, I wanna go to school"

"This is just so sudden. Plus, I can't stop working at the Williams mansion"

"I need to keep working there, so we can take good care of ourselves" I said to her.

"Nia, you must go there tomorrow, and tell them you're no longer working"

"it's as simple as that" She stated, giving me a warm smile, and then leaving the living room.

Meanwhile I drowned in pains, confusion and discomfort.

How could I leave?

***
Saying I was nervous, was an understatement. I was terrified.

Terrified to tell Mrs Williams that I had to stop working at her mansion.

What if she called me ungrateful? After all, she employed me when I was just as desperate to get a job.

I walked into the mansion slowly, fear written all over me, while I approached the doorsteps.

On getting to the large doors that led into the house, I froze.

Part of me wanted to turn back, yet I couldn't.

Whatever could I do? Where would I begin?

Pushing the door open, I found Mrs Williams in the living room talking to Cameron.

He was sat on the couch watching something on the flat-screen TV, while his mom stood to a side, saying something I couldn't quite make out.

His eyes snapped up the instant I walked in, and within a moment, he looked away.

It was obvious, he didn't wanna look at me.

A great way to start the day.

Mrs Williams soon turned to my figure, neither a smile nor a frown was present on her face.

"Good morning, ma'am" I uttered to Mrs Williams, my voice barely audible.

"Good morning, Nia" She responded, while K fidgeted, moving closer to her.

"I would like to see you ma'am" I uttered in a low voice.

"Whatever reason is it?" Her eyes focused on me, gaze filled with concern.

"I would like to stop working here" The words were forced out of my mouth.

For a moment, I think I saw Cameron looking at me the moment I made it known, but then he looked away.

"why?" Mrs Williams questioned me, moving over to have a sit on the couch, right next to Cameron.

"I have to begin school soon. That's why" I said to her without elaborating on the matter.

She stared on at me, eyes staring blankly like she was lost in thoughts.

"That's true. I've totally forgotten what you told me about your education, and your mom's health"

"Is she much better now?" She questioned, words spoken with much concern.

"yes, ma'am" Followed my response.

She remained quiet for a while, gaze away from mine, and after a long pause, she spoke.

"I'm glad to hear that"

I gave a nod at her words, gaze focused on her figure.

"You know, I've really enjoyed you working for me, and I'd hate to see you go" She began.

A smile crawled up her lips, while she peered on at me.

Meanwhile, the announcement of me stopping work at the mansion, seemed not faze Cameron a bit. He was totally ignoring me.

"I haven't even given you your paycheck, since you started the maid duties" I heard Mrs Williams say.

"Come tomorrow, and it'll be handed to you" She gave a small smile then resumed her discussion with Cameron.

Just before leaving the living room, I turned my gaze to Cameron, staring at him as I walked out.

He smiled at whatever his Mom said to him, eyes narrowing as she continued talking.

Pushing forward, I hurried out of the living room.