deux

"Stop looking at security like that," said the darkly clothed man who traipsed stonily by Jisung's side. He was tall and well-built, as his job required him to be.

Jisung forced the scowl off his face but still refused to meet the other's eye. "I don't need bodyguards," he said seriously, to which the woman walking beside him tutted. Her heels made an annoying click on the ground every time she took a step.

"Perhaps you don't, honey —" Jisung looked sharply at her. She paid him no mind. "We're not here to protect just yourself. The people around you are our main priority."

Jisung grinned. "I'm not that mean."

The man beside him ushered him into a line, then glanced around before whispering, "You're skipping off to another country to k-word a kid your age. If you're not mean, Satan can't be that bad."

"Don't act like you haven't killed kids," replied Jisung. "Just because I'm doing it doesn't make it any worse."

The woman whistled lowly as she took out their passports and shifted the tickets in them. "He got you there, Jaehyun."

Jaehyun shook his head, standing straight again. "Who's side are you on, Seulgi?"

Jisung sighed unhappily as they boarded the plane without any further unnecessary conversation. It was on the way to the plane, in that appreciable silence,  that he finally wondered more about who he was being sent to kill. It seemed really fucking stupid that he knew next to nothing about the target, but usually he liked to separate himself from anything people said about others. Information tended to get twisted and biased and prettier or uglier. He'd count on himself.

Still, he should have known more than his name and his position, but he'd been giving no time to snoop. He'd only been told of the mission when he'd been employed (read: forced from his previous gang specifically for this job) a few weeks beforehand.

His current gang, SM, had heard of him three months ago and had gotten hold of him on a whim, hearing tell that he was an acclaimed prodigy. Some dastardly, evil genius. He'd been pleased to hear this, as it was indeed the kind of personality he would like draped over himself.

He'd been on some sort of house arrest for a a month while the gang made their very aggressive negotiations with the leader of RFN, until they'd come knocking on his door, informed him that they had paid off his indenture and that he was their property the same way he'd been the previous gang's property. That they wanted him on a waiting list for some mission. He'd broken both the legs of the guy who had told him and shot the backup man with his own gun. That's when he had really attracted Taeyong's attention, and Johnny Seo had been assigned to "test him out". Seo really had tried his level best to try and make Jisung fail that strange examination... since then, it had simply been that and mastering Chinese and avoiding all the gang members who tried to convince him not to do this. They wanted the money only, and Jisung was sure of that.

Jaehyun grinned at the flight attendant and ushered Jisung in without showing them the tickets. So the flight attendants were in on the plan too? He expressed the assumption to Seulgi, who whispered back saying that was the only one, just some guy called Kim Doyoung. Jisung didn't believe her.

Seulgi and Jaehyun flanked him even on the plane, sitting on either side of him. When he frowned at them, Seulgi only sent him a sugary sweet smile, "Did you want the window seat?"

Shut up.

"What do you know about Zhong Chenle?" he said instead.

Seulgi frowned. "Not an awful lot. He's the child CEO of some tech company in China, which is where you're eventually headed, and he's awfully rich. Couple of months older than you, I'd say. His dad's died recently, you know that. He's... blonde? Maybe."