The meeting (Chapter 2 of Her Second Love)

George smiled and chalked his cue. He already liked Sam Orwell the moment he met him: blunt, open and straightforward.

While, Isaac went on describing George's achievement, George just smiled and took it in his stride as humbly as he could.

The conversations flowed in and at one point Sam Turner asked George, "So, you would vote for a woman?"

"Yes sir, I most certainly would," George simply replied.

"But, how can you expect a woman to take a rational decision?" Orwell asked George.

George leaned on the table and made a shot, "It's very simple sir, allow women to be properly educated in the first place so that they can go to university and study for the same degrees as men."

If Orwell was impressed by George's views one could not tell. He just turned as the arrival of butler distracted him.

"Dinner is served, sir," the butler addressed Orwell.

"Thank you, Intyre," Orwell said and gestured them to the dining room.

A Victorian themed huge Oak table dominated the room adorned by wooden paneling. As George walked in, he caught his breath. Sam Orwell's daughters were standing; Brittany and Lily waiting to be introduced. George's gaze seemed fixed on Lily, causing her to blush and look away. Her heart skipped a beat looking over at that handsome man. 

George stepped forward and shook hands with both of them but his hands lingered a fraction longer on Lily's. Lily was poised, graceful and a nubile lady. Her straw blonde hair was wrapped on her head and lovely features enhanced a long swan neck. Her beauty was arresting and Bell was moved by her aura of loveliness.

They sat down. Bell was seated next to Isaac and Brittany.

"So, Miss Orwell is it true you sailed across St George's Channel?" asked Isaac.

Lily looked at Isaac not before dropping a glance towards George, "Yes, Mr Cromwell. I did."

"I heard from Mr. Cromwell that you intend to swim across the English Channel a week from now?" enquired Isaac while tilting his spoon, his voice laced with disbelief.

Lily simply shrugged and nodded a yes.

"Why don't you ask her about her first true love?" chided Brittany to Isaac.

Isaac's face showed disappointment he was truly hoping for George to be besotted with Lily, as he asked, "Miss. Orwell, is that true. Are you already engaged?"

Lily smiled looking at George and finding him looking up to hear her reply, she grinned inwardly and said, "If he would have me, I would marry him today."

Orwell saw sadness wash on Isaac while a curious expression formed on Bell's face. Lily saw him and just gave a pleasant smile. George seemed to be a passionate man with emotions that beautifully played on his face. 

"Pray tell me, Miss Orwell. Why would he say no to a successful and passionate person such as you?" Bell directed the question to Lily.

Bell roused himself from counting the freckles lining her beautiful face and felt lost hearing her musical voice and couldn't form coherent thoughts. What was the question again, he asked himself and racked his brain, "Mr Bell, my first true love means the world to me and I can't lose him at any cost."

While all let an appreciative sigh seeing Lily's true devotion. Bell tried to catch Lily's eyes but she showed no interest in him and turned to talk to Isaac.

Mr. Orwell asked everyone to come to the drawing room for a cigar and even allowed the ladies to accompany them.

Bell glanced at Lily. She was sitting prettily on a sofa. Bell placed himself next to her and thanked God for giving him this opportunity.

"Why don't you tell me more about your true love, Miss Orwell?" Bell asked Lily.

While Bell suppressed the sudden desire to plant his lips on hers, she answered, "What would you like to know Mr Bell?"

"You seem very passionate about him," Bell declared.

Lily said, "Yes Mr Bell. He is more than my obsession; he is my biggest aim in life. He is my dream. My life belongs to him." She was enamored by George; his smile, his grace. 

Bell replied, "You seem to care a lot for your love. Won't you divulge his name to me?"

Just then Isaac got up and turning to his host thanked him for a delightful dinner.

Bell had no choice but to follow suit, he walked a few steps but turned and held Lily's hand in his when she said, "My first true love is crossing the Drake passage. Please take care Mr Bell," he was surprised and pressed a gentle kiss on her hand and walked away.

Lily just watched him walk out. Her eyes had a distinct twinkle and a smile graced her lips.

............................

They met everyday for a week- dining, laughing, talking. They knew their dreams, their passion had somehow got interwined and that they both were falling for each other. 

But, still George had not kissed Lily. Lily wanted George with a passion that was new to her. She had never been 'that' attracted to a man before but with George she just wanted to lose herself burying herself in his broad chest, she wanted to feel his hardened muscles against her body. She did not know the ways of love but her heart was guiding her. She just wanted to let nature take its course. 

One day, he took her to the park for a picnic. Her sister chaperoned them. As they sat down on the carpet taking in each other’s presence, talking about George’s new project, tasting exotic delicacies; Brittany excused herself, winking at Lily making her blush, giving the couple some time to bask in their togetherness, to take a walk along the flowers adoring the park giving it a beautiful hue.

Lily couldn’t help feel the adrenaline of her heart when George took her hand in his. She felt so protected and secure in his presence.

He smelled of security. A nostalgic feeling indulged its’ self onto both of them; giving a feeling full of love and peace. His arms were tightly wrapped around her shoulders, hers, clinging to his hard muscular chest, and her head softly placed on his shoulder. She was relishing this time with him. This closeness made her heart flutter and his touch shot tingles up her body. 

Basking in each other’s embrace, in each other’s warmth. He looked down at her; his eyes sparkled by the brightness of the sun. He gave her a quirky smile, the one that she had come to love. Caressing her supple cheek, he lifted her chin gently; their noses almost touching.

"Gorgeous," he whispered. She blushed. 

She could feel the warmth of his breath brushing the top of her lip. She stared back into his eyes and moved up so their lips could touch. He passionately took over the kiss. The heat engulfed them as their breath mingled with each other.

Softly.

Lovingly.

They breathed their souls and their love into each other in that kiss. That kiss; hard, but soft; fiery but cool; a steaming minute but also forever. In that one kiss, she then knew she was his and hoped he would be hers.