13 | the witch and the new wardrobe

The next couple months were fairly eventless- Hermione managed to avoid any more confrontations with Theodore Nott, and she assumed Draco did the same. NEWTs were coming up, and she was far too busy studying to worry about something as silly as a death threat.

Nott himself seemed to be avoiding them, actually- his actions had lost him a lot of respect with those who might otherwise have been closer to him... which Hermione oddly suspected had something to do with Pansy Parkinson. While the Malfoys were not as respected by many pure-blood families these days, somehow most Slytherins seemed to get the idea that Nott was much worse, and much more dangerous.

She knew the internship with the Ministry would require Arithmancy- she would be working with the Goblin Liason Office if she got it. It would probably be wise to review her History of Magic textbooks, too. Then the Metal Charmer Apprenticeship would require an Outstanding in Transfiguration and Charms....

She still didn't know what she wanted to do more, but she would be able to put her applications into both positions after her NEWT results were in.

They had only one more week to study, now. Hermione sat with Harry, Ron, and Ginny at their usual spot in front of the fireplace, Hermione quizzing the boys on the history of the Ministry's various offices, a topic they were sure would be on their History of Magic exam.

"Which committee spearheaded the cover-up in the breach of the Statute of Secrecy when Walter Wolder famously released singing crocodiles into the sewers of London in 1922?"

"This one's a trick question," Ginny added, supportively, as she looked at the answer over Hermione's shoulder.

"Ginny, you should be studying too."

"I study better on my own- I hate to be quizzed. Makes me more nervous."

Hermione shook her head, sighing good-naturedly at her friends. Ginny would be taking her NEWTs this year, too, being an actual seventh year student.

"Er...the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes?" Ron tried.

"Very good Ron! But that's an "E" grade kind of answer; give me more specifics."

"Muggle-worthy excuse committee?" Harry tried, and Hermione shook her head.

"No, not quite. The trick with questions like these are to not try and memorize answers, but rather to use your common sense. That committee deals with minor problems. Singing crocodiles were a much more serious breech."

"Office of Misinformation!" Ron blurted, and Hermione grinned.

"Bingo!"

"Aw... I'm never going to pass History of Magic." Harry groaned, laying his head back against the couch.

"You don't need it to become an Auror, anyways." Ron said encouragingly, patting Harry on the back.

"Just how are you doing better than me, anyways? I thought we both slept in that class."

Ron grinned. "Maybe I have a tutor."

"A what?" Ginny asked. She leaded forward, poking Ron in the forehead quickly. "Liar. You're talking about Mildred."

"Milded?" Hermione asked, looking surprised. "She likes History of Magic?"

"She's mental," Ron said, but the way he said it made it sound like a compliment. "It's her favorite subject. She wants to be a historian after school, and plans on spending time in the archives in Egypt this summer..."

Hermione frowned. She knew for a fact that that couldn't happen... unless Ron was going with her. She gasped. "Are you leaving this summer!?" she asked.