10| Nose Dive

The lady at the reception of the hospital eyes me wearily

"Can I help you?" She says, acting like she'd do anything rather than help me.

"Do you know where the volunteers are meant to go?"

She stifles a yawn and points down the corridor.

"Down the corridor, turn left, turn right then it'll be on your left."

I try my best to process the information, and when I forget the second turning, I turn back to her to see she's already preoccupied with another patient. I guess I'm on my own. I follow her first instruction and find myself in a dark narrow hallway.

Keep walking, Bradley. Head down. Eyes down. Patients in stretchers stare at me. I can hear screams from the adjacent rooms. This ward is eerily familiar. Then, I remember.

This is Isla's ward.

I find myself outside the door, staring at the lifting and falling of her chest. I can hear the monotone beeps of the heart monitor. Her wavy golden brown hair floats in the wind from the open window. I stare at her flawless ceramic skin. I shouldn't go in. But, I can't help myself so I push open the heavy metal door.

Isla Woodley is no more awake than last time. Goosebumps adorn her skin. I quickly shut the window.

You're not supposed to be in here Bradley.

Why am I in here?

I take a seat on the stool placed beside Isla's bed. I don't want to take her hand. I barely know her. Then, why does it feel like I've known her my entire life.

"Day 2." I whisper to the motionless figure, as if she's listening.

A loose strand of hair creeps up on her face. I imagine if she was awake she'd brush it away. So, I tuck it neatly behind her ear. My hand lingers on her pale cheek.

This is wrong. I shouldn't touch her without her permission. I swat my hand away, as if it's an unwanted fly on her face. I imagine she'd do the same. But, I wish she wouldn't.

My visit is cut short by voices in the corridor. Without even thinking, I dive under the hospital bed, through the jungle of multi-coloured wires and tubes, leaving my crutches beside the bed.

"Any new info on her?" A plump looking nurse says.

"Well, I've tracked down an older brother. Markus Woodley. But, she has no other records here." The other (less plump) nurse replies.

"Maybe she's not from around these parts?" Plump nurse props, while fiddling with the oxygen packet.

"Maybe. Isla Woodley sure is mysterious." Less Plump nurse returns.

"Well, I'd be damned. One of these wires are broken." The plump nurse begins to lean down.

I squeeze my eyes shut. Think of a cover story, Bradley. How do I explain hiding underneath the body of a girl I don't know? Think, Bradley.

I begin to see the nurse's knees. Then her dress. Then her chin. I bite my lip so hard I can taste to metallic blood.

"Wait we have a spare in the store room!" The other nurse swoops in just in time. The figure of the plump nurse disappears until I can only see her shoes again.

I sigh quietly as the nurses leave the room and wiggle back through the wires. Then, I take one look at Isla and leave the creepy hospital. I have no intention of coming back, so I march head-strong through the reception. The unhelpful receptionist shakes her head at me. Then, I realise I have an appointment next week.

●●●

Mum throws over a tube of insect repellent.

"You'll definitely need this for the camping. Bugs everywhere."

Mum packs my suitcase, while I flick through the new messages on my phone. There aren't that many, except a few from Murphy teasing me about dating Nicole and a few from Shauna telling me how screwed over I am for the camping. True friends.

"Aren't you gonna help?" Mum says, piling in a few bundles of clothing.

I nod, but stay fixed in my seat and glued on my phone.

"Hand it over." Mum points to my phone.

I plead with her and eventually I give in. She really doesn't give up. Ever.

I get to work pulling out a vast array of T-shirts, jeans and socks to wear. Mum folds them and piles them into the suitcase. She adds in a pack of wet wipes, suncream and extra underwear and heaves the suitcase shut, triumphantly. We're done.

"Are you excited?" Mum asks, beaming.

Well, that's easy. But, I'm not ruining her one day off with my problems.

"Yeah! Totally." I reply, nonchalantly, forcing myself to portray a smile. Mum returns my smile with one of her own and a quick hug. "We need to get going." I have to cut the moment short and pry myself off her. She smells like a fruity and flowery perfume, and the smell is now laced onto my clothes, so I put on some cologne and head to the car with increasing dread.

"Tell me the truth, Bradley." Mum ignites the car and pulls out of our driveway. "School's been hard recently. Hasn't it?"

I don't know whether I should tell the truth or fuel her with the lies I've been telling everyone else. I guess it might be good to get it off my back.

"Yeah." I nod. "It's been different."

She looks at me as if she understands, everyone acts as if they understand, but I feel so alone.

There is silence in the car, except for the music blaring on the radio. It's nice and helps the anticipation and acid building up in my stomach.

Mum pulls into the school driveway, where a large coach is already filled with chattering laughing seniors. Already taking their places next to their friends. Mum unloads my suitcase onto the gravel and gives me a long hug and kiss.

Usually, I'd care. But, I don't, so I hug and kiss back.

"Good luck, kiddo." Mum whispers in my ear, before I climb onto the coach with an angry pack of hormonal teenagers.

I'm definitely gonna need that luck.