11| Split Down The Middle

Water bottles fly past my head en route to hit somebody else

Water bottles fly past my head en route to hit somebody else. Shouts and squeals fill the air. I walk past the rows of seats filled with teenagers shouting and sharing snacks. Jared sits with Che; his head in his hands. There's no sign of Nicole. I'm nearing the back of the bus and almost all the seats are full.

Eventually, I slide into an empty row right at the back of the bus. I plug in music and tune out the loud chatting of overly-hormonal teenagers. Suddenly, the whole bus goes quiet. I look up to see what's caused the commotion.

Nicole enters the bus, in a leopard print ensemble, her usual red stilettos and red puffy eyes. She begins walking down the rows of seats. Her previous friends shudder at her and give her dirty looks. The bus is dead silent and all eyes are on Nicole.

Murmurs begin as Nicole looks for an empty seat.

"What a slut!"

"Oh God! What happened to her?"

"Nicole is disgusting."

I see a tear escape from Nicole's eyes. She hurriedly wipes it away, leaving her mascara visibly smudged. She looks into my eyes with a pleading look and I beckon her into the seat next to me.

The gazes from everyone on the bus refocusses on me. It's been good to get out of the limelight, but it seems I've been plopped right back under the overly-bright spotlight, except now Nicole's under it with me.

She quickly rushes down the remainder of the row and takes a place next to me. Nicole gives me a small nod of gratitude and then falls into silence for the rest of the journey. 

●●●

The camp is filled with dirt. The kind that is laced through the air and makes everyone cough. The girls grudgingly swap their heels for generic flats printed with the camp logo. Then, we take the long walk to the campsite.

The Support Group bus is wonkily parked next to the school coach. It probably belongs to Christopher based on the hot pink covering and flowers pasted on the side. I can imagine the scene: Christopher singing heartily while the others try to tune him out.

The camp isn't far. I trail along at the back of the pack. Nicole trails even further behind, her head down and body slouched.

Once we reach the camp, it is almost divided in half. Christopher and Support Group are putting up their tents. The 'we're-too-good-for-all-this' students of Jamestown high look with disgust at Support Group as if they're zoo exhibits.

Shauna catches sight of me in the crowd.

"Bradley!" She calls. Everyone turns to stare at me, while I walk over to my side of the camp. The side with my real friends.