Chapter 2

"Get up you little dimwits! You all have a lot of work!" The owner of the orphanage yelled at all the kids. Some of the hands pulled back the curtains over the big windows at the end of the room. Lindsey sat up looking around at all the kids already running around, getting ready, or changing. The one thing she hated about this room. It was a room for boys and girls and she couldn't stand having to change in front of everyone.

She slipped out of bed pulling her hair into a ponytail. Even though her hair was pretty and long and straight, she hated it. The color wasn't right. The feeling of it in her hands was gross. So she really didn't like it at all. Lindsey stood up and started making her bed and tidying up every last thing in her space. After almost everyone was out of the room she took off her nightgown and slipped into her work dress.

"Not so fast, Lindsey. You are going to town today. Along with Sara and James." Lindsey favorite house hand spoke from behind her. Laughing a bit, the house hand brought over a nicer dress and ribbon. "From the master." She spoke setting it on the bed. Lindsey sighed deeply and nodded.

"Thank you, Ann." She said folding her nightgown. Ann left quickly because of the rest of her work. Lindsey slipped into the nice dress and laced up the back. She then walked over to a mirror and did her hair. She truly hated town or the market or whatever you wanted to call it. She had to have her hair pulled back with a bow, a semi-nice dress on, and a clean face. So as you can see, it was horrid.

After finishing her hair, Lindsey looked up and saw that James had been watching her the whole time with a grin on his face. Now a normal fifteen year old girl would freak out at a boy staring at her, but with Lindsey... Yeah. She couldn't care less. "You know some girls don't like being watched."

"Well, you're not 'some girl.'" James walked closer to her and slipped his hand in hers for a quick second. "You're my girl."

Lindsey couldn't help letting out a small giggle. Her and James had been like this for a few months, but because of more rules they couldn't be together. Ever. Like, never ever. "We should go." Lindsey said breaking the moment. She'd rather be safe than sorry.

"Yeah. Ok. Let's go." James replied in a sad tone. She knew if they'd stayed there any longer they would've been caught and she'd be sent away. For the forth time in a year.

"You guys are lucky I hate the master." Sara's voice peeped up from the doorway. There was no telling how long she'd been there or what she had seen. "C'mon you love birds. We better get going." All Lindsey could do was laugh and grab her basket. She followed Sara out into the hall as James followed behind.

Lindsey walked beside Sara and whispered, "How much did you see?" Sara looked at her and laughed a bit.

"Enough to know you guys are so dead." Sara whispered back with a smirk on her face. Lindsey rolled her eyes and liked over her shoulder at James. He smiled and winked at her making her blush a bit. She looked back at Sara and saw a twinkle in her eye. "Oh great!" She thought to herself, "What does she have up her sleeve now?"

Lindsey really didn't understand Sara at all. Sure they'd been friends for almost a year, but she was clueless at why she acted like this all the time. Every time they went to town she had a small plan to get us and Daniel some candy or just something nice. They'd never been caught so it wasn't a big deal really.

As they got to the orphanage door all the kids stood in a line on either side. It was a tradition to do do incase something happened to them. With all the dark things in the world, you really never knew if you'd make it back. Sara kept a brave face walking past Daniel an so did Lindsey. James couldn't even look at all of them because of the emotional toll it put on him.

"We wish you save journeys and a peaceful time." The words broke through Lindsey's thoughts and the three of them replied, "We will be back at the end of three days and if we do not return, you know what happened." And with that, they walked out the door to the carriage waiting for them.

Sara got in first, then Lindsey, and lastly James did. "I guess this is goodbye to our home." James peeped up.

"No. It's a fair well. We'll be back. You know that." Lindsey replied watching the walls disappear.

"Or will we?" Sara whispered to herself.