Chapter 8- A Lupin Story

It took a few seconds for the absurdity of the conversation to sink in. 

"You're both mental." Ron voiced.

"Ridiculus!" said Hermione faintly.

"Both Peter Pettigrew and Aurora Evans are dead!" said Harry. "He killed them twelve years ago!" 

He pointed to Black, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to kill him and only him," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me ... not this time, though!"

And Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Black lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled in pain as Black's weight fell on his broken leg.

Once Lupin had reasoned with Black to tell the children the full explanation. And Ron finally stopped yelling about the rats identity, Lupin finally began his story.

"But Professor Lupin .. Scabbers can't be pettigrew ... it just can't be true, you know it can't ..."

"Why can't it be true?" Lupin said calmly, as though they were in class, and Hermione had simply spotted a problem in an experiment with Grindylows.

"Because ... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagas. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall.  An I looked them up when i did my homework - the Ministry keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things ... and i went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have only been seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list - "

"Right again, Hermione!" Lupin said. "But the Ministry never knew that there used to be four unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts."

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on , Remus," snarled Black, who was still watching Scabbers every desperate move. "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to watch much longer."

"All right ... but you'll need to help me Sirius ... Rora?" said Lupin, looking at Black for comformation, Black nodded slowly. "Rora can you come out please, I only know how it all began ..."

Crookshanks moved from her crouched position on the floor, and moved in long steps towards Lupin. She grabbed his wand off of the floor near her and returned it back to its original owner. Lupin waved his wand in a single triangular movement, and as though he uttered a silent spell, the once ginger feline transformed into the same petite blonde from Harry's photo album. the trio stared at her in shock, their mouths were slightly agape in surprise. Harry saw that she wasn't as waxy or skeleton-like as Black, but her frame had changed to hunger-struck; her blue eyes weren't gleaming as they had done when her and Black were stood laughing in the group photo, but were now darker and foggier; the only thing that Harry recognised to be the same, was the kind and affectionate smile she wore on her face. As she caught sight of Harry, Ron and Hermione watching her in awe, Aurora opened her mouth to introduce herself to the three ...  

But before she could speak or properly greet any of them a loud creak sounded behind them. The bedroom door had opened of its own accord. All six of them stared at it. Lupin strode towards it and looked out into the landing. 

"No one there .. "

"This place is haunted!" said Ron

"It's not," said Lupin, still looking at the door in a puzzled way. 

"The Shrieking Shack was never haunted .... the screams and howls the villagers used to hear were made by me."

He pushed his greying hair out of his eyes, thought for a moment, then said, "That's were all this starts - with me becoming a werewolf. None of this could have happened if I hadn't been bitten ... and if I hadn't been so foolhardy ..."