Chapter 10- The confrontation

"Well, hello, Peter," said Lupin pleasantly. "Long time, no see."

"S-Sirius ... R-Remus ... R-Rora" Even Pettigrew's voice was squeaky. Again, his eyes darted towards the door. "My friends ... my old friends ..."

Black's wand arm rose, but Aurora seized him around the wrist, as Lupin gave him a warning look, then he turned again to Pettigrew, his voice light and casual.

"We've been having a chat, Peter, about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points while you were squeaking around down there on the bed - "

"Remus," gasped Pettigrew, beads of sweat were breaking out over his pasty face, "you don't believe him, do you ... He tried to kill me, Remus ..."

"So we've heard," said Lupin, more coldly. "I'd like to clear up one or two little matters with you, Peter, If you'd be so - "

"He's come to kill me again!" Pettigrew shrieked suddenly, pointing at Black, using his middle finger as his index finger was missing. "He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too ... you've got to help me, Remus ..."

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out" said Aurora.

"Sort things out?" squealed Pettigrew, eying the boarded windows and, again the only door. " I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban?" Said Lupin, his brow furrowed. "When nobody has ever done it before?"

"He's got Dark powers the rest of us can only dream of!" Pettigrew shouted shrilly. "How else did he get out of there? I suppose He Who Must Not Be Named taught him a few tricks!"

Black started to laugh, a horrible, worthless laugh that filled the whole room.

"Voldemort teach me tricks?" he said.

Pettigrew flinched as though Black had brandished a whip at him.

"What, scared to hear your old masters name?" Said Black. "I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

"Don't know what you mean, Sirius - " muttered Pettigrew, his breathing faster than ever. His whole face was shining with sweat now.

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years," Black said, "You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter... they all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them ... I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information ... and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all Voldemort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out there, biding their time, pretending they've seen the error of their ways ... If they ever got wind that your still alive, Peter - "

"Don't know ... what you're talking about ..." said Pettigrew again, more shrilly than ever. He wiped his face on his sleeve and looked up at Lupin. "You don't believe this - this madness, Remus ... Rora -"

"I must admit, Peter, I have difficulty in understanding why an innocent man would want to spend twelve years as a rat," said Lupin evenly.

"Innocent, but scared!" Squealed Pettigrew. "If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best men in Azkaban - the spy, Sirius Black!"

Black's face contorted.

"How dare you," he growled, sounding suddenly like the bear sized dog he has been. "Me, a spy for Voldemort? When did I ever sneak around people who were stronger and more powerful than myself? But you Peter - I'll never understand why I didn't see you as the spy from the start. You always liked big friends who'd look after you, didn't you? It used to be us ... me and Remus ...and James ... and let's not forget that you practically worshipped Rora in the hope she'd finally go out with you!"