Chapter four

Lance felt antsy, he couldn't remember how long he'd been in the training room battling with the sparring bots.

He'd only been knocked on his ass a few times and he'd knocked down and destroyed plenty more in the meantime.

He wanted to rip each of them limb from limb, he was angry and terrified. Lotor and Allura were in the quintessence field and he couldn't do shit.

Pidge had come back from her mission looking more exhausted than she ever had before. It was like someone had sucked the energy out of her and now she was up despite clearly needing rest.

She was in the hangar, looking over readings every time they came in to try and make sure that Lotor and Allura were okay.

It scared Lance how out of it Pidge had been acting. The closest thing he had to a little sister was acting off and he knew it was because of Lotor.

And Allura, god, Allura. She was acting ridiculous. Like she knew what was best and like Lotor was their best friend ever, like he'd been on their side the entire time.

Lance was furious because how dare she willingly put the Paladins in danger, the only people who could pilot Voltron in unnecessary danger.

"Lance," Shiro smiled, carefully grabbing onto his shoulder.
"You got them all, take a breather."

Lance jolted back, looking over at Shiro.

"Sorry... mind wanders..." Lance sighed, reluctantly letting Shiro pull him away from the center of the room and to go sit down.

"I know, just breathe. You're nervous, right? We all are.." Shiro sighed.

"Incredibly," Lance groaned, running a hand through his hair.
"I mean, we don't know what's in that place! What if they end up getting hurt? What if Lotor ends up hurting Allura?"

"We can't really do much about it," Shiro sighed.
"All we can do is wait."

Lance nodded, the two of them looking up at each other at same time, coming nose to nose.

They both turned bright red, eyes widening and lingering for a moment before looking away. Lance could feel his heart beating against his chest as Shiro shakily grabbed onto his hand, squeezing as he laced their fingers together.

Lance smiled a bit.

Maybe he'd get his love story after all.

The two couldn't even say a word to each other before the alarms went off and Coran came over the comms.

"There's an Altean pod approaching the castle!" He shouted, confusion and worry lacing his voice.

Shiro and Lance looked at each other before bolting to the bridge, still hand in hand. Lance's heart fluttered at how the larger man kept a firm grip on him, looking back every so often to make sure he was keeping up alright.

Lance grinned, pushing himself to move faster and keep pace with Shiro. If anyone saw them holding hands when they came into the bridge, no one said anything.

The Cuban's eyes widened when he saw who was in that pod, he hadn't expected to see Keith so soon, and he hadn't expected to see Keith so upset.

Keith was panicking, it was evident in his eyes. The moment that they'd gotten to somewhere that they could access communications Keith saw all the messages from Pidge.

They'd be so sweet at first, simply messages asking how he was or how his mission was going.

Hell, she'd even told him that she wasn't mad about him just running off without saying goodbye to her, that she understood why he'd left so quickly.