Chapter 10: Pyxis

Ash, Zinnia, and their Pokémon partners finally landed at the foot of the Sky Pillar. They both dismounted their rides. Zinnia returned her Salamence to its Pokéball. Ash thought back to what Zinnia had said to him during their ride to the tower.

"Huh? Girlfriend?" Ash asked, confused.

"Yeah, the cute blonde with short hair. Serena? She is your girlfriend, correct?"

Ash rubbed the back of his neck, slightly embarrassed. "Well... not exactly..."

"Really? Could've fooled me. You two were really cute together. I can tell just by the way she looks at you, that she's very much into you. And the way you two trust each other so much is really a great thing." Zinnia said, smiling.

"Well, of course we trust each other! I would trust Serena with anything. We've been through a whole lot together so I know that I can trust her, and I hope she knows she can trust me just as much." Ash said confidently, with Pikachu chiming in as well.

"Well then, Ash, if she's not already your girlfriend, I suggest doing everything in your power not to let her get away. That's the type of trust you don't see very often. It's really something special. And that look in her eyes tells me she wants nothing more than to be by your side. I would keep her around, if I were you." Zinnia said.

Ash briefly contemplated her words. He knew that he felt different, if only slightly different, about Serena, compared to his other friends. Her presence made him feel happy, her attitude and passion inspired him, and her cute smile lit up the world. As much as he liked thinking about that smile of hers, he didn't have a whole lot of time to. Not when the looming Sky Pillar stood right in front of him and his new friend. They were looking it up and down, standing at the bottom, both unfazed by the storm.

"So, how come we can't just fly to the top?" Ash asked Zinnia.

Zinnia chuckled. "If only it were that easy. There's actually an invisible barrier of wind close to the top. Basically, if you fly up past that point close to the tower, no matter how fast or how heavy you are, you'll be sent flying back down by wind. Supposedly, it was put in place by my ancestors, the Draconid people, because back then, the trek up the tower was used as a trial of sorts. Not sure what that trial was for, but whatever the answer, we still can't fly up to the top. We have to go the long way."

"That barrier or whatever has got another thing comin'!" Ash mounted Garchomp once more. Pikachu, knowing his partner was about to do something reckless, jumped off Ash's shoulder and on to the ground before Ash said anything else. "Let's fly, Garchomp!"

"Ash, wait!" She reached her arm out towards Ash and Garchomp, but the dragon-type launched itself off the ground and straight up towards the top of the tower. Zinnia watched them ascend and sighed.

"Pika pi?" Zinnia's attention was caught by Ash's partner standing next to her, looking up at her, concerned.

Zinnia smiled. She bent down and began to scratch the mouse's head, much to his delight. "Don't worry, Pikachu, he'll be fine. He won't be hurt. I understand the feeling of wanting to find out things for yourself. Honestly, I kind of admire that."

Pikachu scurried its way up to Zinnia's shoulder and found a comfortable perch, and nuzzled her face happily. Zinnia giggled. "You're a friendly one, huh?"

Ash's face was being repeatedly hit with massive raindrops and the forceful wind as he rode Garchomp vertically up the side of the tower. Garchomp was one of the fastest dragon-types around, so it was practically no time at all before they were nearing the highest point of the tower. Right before Garchomp reached the top, its momentum was forcefully pushed to a stop, even managing to push it back down several meters. This sudden change almost caused Ash to fly off of his ride, but he closed his eyes and held on tight to ensure he didn't fall. Garchomp hovered in the air just under where its momentum had stopped, wondering what exactly had just happened.