Beelzebub

Spine chilling sequel

Rating 8.25/10
Plot - 2.5/3
Characters - 2.5/3
Writing - 2.25/3
Brownie points? YES!

WHAT DO I THINK

Beelzebub is the sequel to Shadrach. I didn't really think there would be a sequel to Shadrach as I was reading it. But I was relieved to know it did. Shadrach is a book that you can never get enough of.

Many sequels are quite disappointing but Beelzebub is a worthy sequel to the amazing thriller. This is the second book in the series. The third and final book is being written, as confirmed by the author.

The first book left me checking my room every ten minutes because I was scared that I'd be too engrossed in reading and something (say, Shadrach) might sneak up on me. Beelzebub was even worse, it made me glance over my shoulder every five minutes.

The best part about the book is the vague description of gore scenes which makes the readers work their own imagination. The writer doesn't spoonfeed you all the details. Many things are indicative and you have to connect as you go. This is a real thriller as it won't be long before something or the other happens in the book.

The characters are always running around but there are enough breaks in between to stop and catch up with other things, to pop a pill or two. This is not just an incessant murder mystery but has the quirks of a Young Adult. I think the writer was unapologetic while crafting flaws of the characters and this makes them more real.

The dynamics of the relationships in the book carry the plot further. The writer has their way with the words. They keep you guessing until they unravel it. The writer has a thing for dramatic endings and sharp twists, it is evident in both the books. Foreshadowing in the book is frequent, subtle but intentional.

The new characters in the book are creeps and weirdos. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them. I loved how the writer crafted the seemingly normal families into distorted versions. They use the characters like knives, sharp and precise, sometimes to do the dirty work.

The sequel begins where the first book ends. Nothing much happens between the two books. But it's slightly lacking where you're supposed to hook the reader to the book in the initial stages. Shadrach snatched my attention right away but Beelzebub needed a few more chapters. Maybe the writer wanted to let the readers catch their breath after such elaborate ending.

The plot twists have rendered me speechless. The element of insects is adding to the gross factor. As someone who hates worms, it made me anxious about the arrival of Beelzebub. Raking up of old injuries during the trip, and the visits into Peachbode was intense.

As more characters got roped into the secret it made me eager to see just how its going to end up with so many people Knowing about the other world, but little did I know that won't be a problem at all.

There's a party that ends wrong, a new year that begins wrong, an insect that crawls wrong, a fly that talks wrong, a relationship, no, several that go wrong, people that play wrong, trip that ends wrong and a human with a dogs name, which is just wrong.

The only thing that's going right is a child's play! The ending blew my wig away, and NASA called to tell me that it's floating around Jupiter now. I didn't expect that to happen in the end. I'll say that again, I DID NOT EXPECT THAT TO HAPPEN IN THE END. How does one come up with that? It's brilliant. This has to be made into a TV series.

The end was super unpredictable. The retelling of the famous tale just hit me in the face and knocked me out. I felt dread and betrayal top off the rush to know what's going to happen. It was a race against myself to reach the ending. It was shocking, sad and relieving.

The writing style is smooth like a river and I completed reading the book in one night. Although there was so much happening in the 2nd book, it kind of felt like it was rushed. Would've loved more chapters, but I'm not complaining.

The author made anything that can go wrong to actually go wrong. So many plots and sub plots with open endings which I hope will get cleared up in the next book.

The book is of course a Mystery/ Thriller with a definite Paranormal streak. It's also serves *some* feelings. It's also a Young Adult amidst all these chaos. Do read the book, you will definitely enjoy reading it.