Chapter 10

Ellie lay in her bed that night. After everything she'd been through these past weeks she should have been asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. Instead she lay there staring at the ceiling instead of the stars. She missed it, she missed listening to Blake breathe while he slept, feeling his arms around her, waking up next to him, she missed how safe he made her feel but most of all though, she missed him making love to her. Tossing and turning, she finally ended up on her side. A soft breeze ruffled the leaves outside making the white lace curtains covering her window billow slightly then suck out the window as the wind changed directions.

Sighing, Ellie flopped onto her back again then flipped back the covers. Maybe some warm milk would be able to help her sleep. Not bothering to grab her robe or slippers, she padded downstairs in her gown with bare feet. She could see a soft amber light peaking under her Papa's study door and pausing when she heard Blake's voice on the other side. She hadn't planned on listening to their conversation but continued to stand there when she heard her name.

"Thank you for talking to me so late Levi. I wanted to make sure Ellie wouldn't interrupt." Blake sat across from Levi's desk in a relaxed position, looking as if he hadn't a care in the world. But nothing could be farther from the truth. He felt guilty as hell for touching this man's daughter, a man that he'd known most of his life and had always respected.

"You know you're welcome here anytime, especially now after saving Ellie and Lydia's lives."

It took all Blake could do sit there and look Levi in the eyes. He took a deep breath. "I'm just going to get straight to the point, I would like your permission to marry Ellie." There, he'd said it there was no going back now. He knew this was the right thing to do, the honorable thing.

A wide smile split Levi's face. "Well, I'd be lying if I said that this isn't anything we hadn't hoped for since you two were children. I can't think of a better man for my daughter. I'm sure you're going to go to work with your father but you're more than welcome to work here and build a house on the east side of the property next to the Double C."

"Actually, I'm going to continue working for the Marshalls. I figured we would build a house on your property so Ellie could be near you when I'm gone. I should be able to come home every three to four months."

Levi's smile faded slightly, it wasn't the answer he'd expected to hear and he didn't really like it but he wasn't overly worried and he figured it wouldn't last long. When a man really loves a woman, he doesn't want to be away from her for months at a time. "Of course you have my blessing. Have you talked with Ellie?"

"Yes! He did ask me, and I told him no!" Ellie stood in the doorway, her eyes full of anger as her body shook with rage. "Blake, I gave you my answer when you asked me and it hasn't changed. It's still no! No I will not marry you! Did you understand me that time or do I need to repeat myself again?" She didn't wait for either man to say anything, just turned on her heel and ran out the front door, the screen slamming behind her.

The two men sat there in stunned silence for a few seconds. "I'll go after her, I'm pretty sure I know where she's going." Blake looked at Levi then got up to follow Ellie. She was exactly where he thought she would be, in the top of the hay loft of the barn. He made his way up the ladder then across to the open door where Ellie was sitting with her legs dangling over the side.

She saw him walk out of the house and straight to the barn. How old were they the last time they sat up here together? How many years had it been? She couldn't remember, it had been so long. Tears sprang to her eyes at the flood of childhood memories that came rushing back to her, happy memories of them playing together. They had been best friends and Blake had always been so sweet to her back then. What happened to him? What could have changed him so much? His eyes lost their sparkle and he never laugh anymore. He seemed, angry all the time. "How could you do that?" She didn't even turn to speak to him.