Chapter 13

John carried Lydia down to the table for dinner, she refused to be stuck in her room if she didn't have to. The doctor had said to stay off her foot and to keep it elevated, he didn't say where. The entire family and John were all eating, listening to the twins and Reed share the adventures they had at Aunt Faith and Uncle Cade's house.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you about my meeting with Mr. Kentwood this morning."

Levi's brow furrowed, "Ellie, why would you go see our banker?

"Papa." Ellie sighed. "He's also head of the town counsel." A huge grin filled her face. "You're looking at the new teacher for Red Valley!"

"I'm so proud of you honey!" Hope reached over and took her daughter's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, loving the shining light in her eyes, a light that had been so dim lately.

"Are you going to ride to town with your brothers and sister every day?" Levi was not happy about his oldest daughter working, especially when she didn't have to.

"No Papa. I'll live in the cottage the town provides for the teacher."

"No!"

"What?" Hope and Ellie asked simultaneously.

"You heard me. I said no. It's bad enough that you'll be working, but I draw the line with you living in town by yourself. We'll have a house built for you on the edge of the ranch. That's as far as I'm going to bend on the subject."

"No! I'm a grown woman Papa, I don't need your permission and you can't stop me!"

Nobody said a word. John cut his eyes over to Hope, both of them knew what was coming if they didn't step in. "Actually, I have something to say." Levi's head snapped around, but he managed to keep his lips shut. "The US Marshal's office has decided to set up an office in Red Valley for the surrounding territory and they want me to be the chief deputy Marshal. So," John cut his eyes to Lydia this time. He'd told her about the job yesterday when he'd gotten the telegram but he hadn't told her the other part.

"Lydia," he said drawing a steadying breath then turned to face her. "I was going to wait and give this to you on our wedding day as my wedding gift to you, but I think now is a better time." He reached up and slid a slightly crinkled cream-colored envelope from the inside pocket of his vest and handed it to her. "This is my wedding gift to you; I hope you like it and aren't upset with

"I'm sure I'll love anything you gave me." She glanced around the table hoping no one saw the blush on her face then opened the envelope and slid out a folded sheet of paper, the same color as the envelope. Her brows furrowed as she read the words, PROPERTY DEED written in bold black letters at the top of the page. "I - I don't understand." She looked up at John. "It says property deed."

"That 's right. I've been asking for weeks about any property for sale around town. Ms. Walker decided to move to Chicago to be with her daughter and I bought her house. I picked up the deed yesterday."

"You bought me a house for a wedding gift?" Lydia's eyes were wide with shock.

"You're not mad at me, are you?"

"John, why on earth would I be mad at you?" She threw her arms around his neck, squealing with delight!

John held her tightly, only letting go when he heard Levi clear his throat. He barely caught himself before kissing her on the lips and quickly kissed her on the forehead instead as she sat back up. "I was worried because you didn't pick it out or have a say in where you'll be living."

"Oh John! I would happily live in a tent as long as you are there with me!" This time both of them were flushing.

It was all Ellie could do not to jump up and run to her room. Her eyes welled with tears, fortunately everyone thought they were tears of joy for John and Lydia and not tears of sadness and heartbreak. She knew she would never have what they have, and it was almost more than she could bare. Ellie quickly wiped her eyes and pasted a smile on her face as she congratulated them along with the rest of the family. She really was happy for them. They were truly made for each other.