1. What Comes Next

Simon lay on the floor of the chapel, still clutching on to Baz; slumped along the wall with the taller boy's head on his shoulder. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to do now except hold Baz, he had to do that. The air around them was still, quiet- too quiet, Simon thought, for what had happened only moments ago. It still didn't feel quite real. Surely, the Mage would be in his office as usual, and they could confront him about Baz's mom, and go home? Right?
The Mage couldn't be that broken thing on the floor, not so far away from Simon. He couldn't. It didn't make any sense.

And yet it did. It made perfect, horrible, sense.  The answer had been staring them in the face this whole time (Simon's face especially).  Penny had been right. She always was.

Penny was now about two feet away from him, hunched in a similar position to Simon (although not holding Baz).
This was her fault really, not that she meant to kill the Mage, but it was her Simon Says that made it happen. But Simon couldn't blame her, couldn't be mad. (And it was Simon's words that made him die, in the end)
Penny was just a girl trying to save her friends.
And he was just a boy.
Not a hero.
A boy.

The Mage had made him more than he was, he painted Simon to be a storybook hero, a real life Robin Hood. The Mage.

Simon's gaze shifted to the crumpled figure that was his former mentor, taking it in until it was all too much and he had to shut his eyes.
Baz's hands still dug into his shirt, but the boy seemed to have fallen asleep.

He was so tired, Simon suddenly realized. Aleister Crowley, he was tired.  His eyes opened for just a moment to glance at Baz. Definitely asleep, he decided.
Good. The amount of magic Baz had performed the last couple days should have made him collapse hours ago. It was a wonder he hadn't fallen asleep on them yet.
But then again, Baz was a vampire. He was practically bloody invincible, the git.

Simon's eyes drifted shut again.
He was so tired.

________________________

"Wake up, Simon. "
Someone was shaking his shoulders.
"Come on, Simon. "
The same voice.
"Simon?..."
A new, deeper, worried-sounding voice.
Baz.

Simon opened his eyes to Penny standing over him, her purple hair spilling over his shoulder. And behind her, Baz. His long black hair tousled in a way that still managed to look perfect, even in a time like this. (Git.) Same grey eyes, but with all the light gone out.
Baz frowned, and Penny had an exasperated expression on her face.
Maybe they had been saying something to him?

"Get up Simon, we have to go".
Go? Go where? Where did a person go after having accidentally killed their headmaster?
Simon couldn't think of anywhere. (At least nowhere he wanted to go.)
"Come on Simon, my mom is here."
Penny, gentler this time.
With a soft sigh Simon stood up, already missing the simplicity of sleep. You didn't have to think as much when you were asleep.
Baz was looking at him, that same concern in his voice now written all over his face.
"Alright Snow? Simon?"
Simon didn't bother answering. They all knew that not one of them was alright. He just grabbed Baz's hand as they made their way over to where Penny's mom was standing.
To whatever came next.