2. An Ending

"Penny."
Mrs. Bunce embraced her daughter tearfully, the most affection Simon had seen anyone in their family show. Sure they didn't hate each other, but they weren't exactly the doting family type.
Penny's mom then turned to Baz and Simon, taking in their bedraggled appearances. Frowning, her gaze shifted to the lump on the floor that was the Mage.
"Oh Davy, I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this".
Something in her eyes softened, probably remembering the boy she once knew.
A moment passed as Mitali was lost in memory; until Penny, ever the sensible one, interrupted the silence.
"Mom?..We need to go home".
"Of course."
Mrs.Bunce turned away from the Mage, heading towards the gates where her car was waiting. Simon's eyes once again fell on the ruined man, wondering what would happen to him after they left.
Maybe it didn't matter.
Simon stole one last glance at his mentor before following behind, Baz's hand still soft in his.
They passed through the gates of Watford together, Simon unsure if he would ever return.
________________________________

The ride to Penny's house was silent. No one knew the right words to say in this situation, or even how to begin.
That was alright. Simon didn't feel much like talking anyways.
The car pulled into the driveway, Penny's house a welcome beacon of warmth, even though Simon knew that Mrs.Bunce didn't exactly have a soft spot for him.
And then there was Baz. Simon didn't think he wanted to know what Mrs.Bunce thought about him and Baz. That was a whole other issue, and he barely could handle the one major issue at the moment.
Mostly Simon wanted to go back to sleep.
Blissful, glorious, sleep.
Preferably with a certain grey eyed vampire next to him.

Simon smiled weakly, remembering that first night at the Pitch manor and kisses by firelight.
That was all gone now. Gone because of him. Because of the Humdrum. Although he supposed there wasn't much difference.
Guilt, overwhelming and all consuming, came barreling in.
The Manor, the Mage, all those homes....
Gone.
And it was inarguably Simon's fault.

It was all he could do not to run away from the World of Mages and never look back, like Agatha had done.

Simon clutched Baz's hand tighter.