Ch. 33: The Beginning

Cassia was up well before the dawn.

This was it. The last day of her twenty-third year. The first day of her future.

She knelt before the fresco of Corlana, staring at her goddess. The only thing left to her was to pray. 

Julianus—her heart warmed, then twinged at the thought of him—had taught her how to defend herself. Etain had—unwillingly—taught her the basics of the Brunian language, which, Cassia had been relieved to find, shared many characteristics with Mortanian.

Now it was up to her. Her success now lay completely in her own strength, skill and determination. It was a more terrifying thought than she had ever realized.

Her mind stayed empty, no matter how she tried to focus. She was unsure of what to say, even to her goddess. Begging for Corlana's aid felt wrong, somehow. This trial was hers and hers alone, to prove—not just to her father but to the gods themselves—that she was worthy of the throne they had granted her family.

Cassia swallowed against the nerves swelling her throat and stood, making a slow circle around the temple to study the scenes painted into the very walls. She stopped at the image of Corlana standing before a kneeling Auralius. The adoration on his face softened his harsh features into handsomeness. A silver mist floated around the goddess and the man, his golden eyes burning as he stared up at Lady Fate.

"Protect and guide his path if you cannot guide my own," she found herself whispering. "Watch over my sworn warrior, for I believe I will need him before this is done."

The words felt right as she said them, bringing the peace she had been seeking since she had arrived at the temple. As long as he stayed alive—for she knew it was impossible to wish him safe—she would be able to fight her way through any obstacle. Their oath bound them together, his strength was now hers.

What she offered him in return, she didn't really know.

A soft knock sounded on the door, followed by Claudia's soft voice. "It is time, Your Highness."

Cassia let out a slow breath, taking one more moment to stare at her fore-bearer and her goddess. "Help me strengthen your throne," she whispered. "Grace me with courage."

Now that she had no time, words and prayers flooded her mind. She swallowed her nerves once again, bowed to the image of Corlana staring into Fate's Waters and slipped quietly from the temple.

Claudia gave her a strained smile, Antonia and Drusilla grave and pale behind her. Cassia opened her mouth, wanting to provide some sort of comfort, but once again the words escaped her. So she simply returned Claudia's smile, nodding at the other two before they made their way from the temple.

The sky was gloomy overhead, mist swirling between the trees and over the pale path. Cassia pulled the hood of her cloak over her hair, tugging the warm, green velvet closer over her long nightgown. 

They trailed silently into the castle, which was busier than usual for such an early hour. Cassia's fingers knotted into her cloak but she kept her chin high and her gaze straight as she felt the whispers buzz over her skin. 

She was why they were all awake so early. They wouldn't want to miss a chance to gawk. 

Cassia didn't pay them any mind as she led the way to her rooms. There was one last formality that must be observed before she could leave the castle and truly start her trial.

She only stumbled once, right as she reached the stairs leading up to the residential wings. Elias stood in the shadows of a hall that would lead more deeply into the administrative section of the castle. He met her gaze for a moment, his mouth opening like he would say something.