Ch. 44: The Price of Passage

Cassia blinked rapidly a few times, not processing what Corax had said. She kept staring at Nasir, the firelight glinting off the gold beads in his hair. He was looking past her at Corax, a thoughtful wrinkle forming between his brows.

Not something. Someone.

Her.

Cassia shot to her feet—or tried to. Corax grabbed her again, fingers biting cruelly into her forearm beneath the table. She had to struggle to keep her breathing even as her mind spun. This was why he'd wanted her in here. He'd planned this all along.

He always has a reason.

Suppressing a grimace, Cassia forced herself to settle back against Corax. The wisest course of action seemed to be keeping still and quiet, and simply letting things proceed as they would. She didn't know enough about these men to feel confident in her ability to manipulate them. And she knew just enough about Corax to realize that attempting to manipulate him would end poorly.

Nasir picked up his mug of ale and sat back in his chair, giving Corax an amused glance over the rim. Then his eyes flicked to his companions. The captain scowled and shook his head, but the younger man sitting across from Nasir just shrugged, a put-upon sort of expression dragging down the corners of his mouth.

"This...person," Nasir said slowly. "They are a fugitive? There will be danger involved?"

Cassia nearly snorted. She supposed that was close enough to the truth. Corax seemed to feel the same, because he let out a cough that sounded suspiciously like a laugh. "Isn't there always?" She felt him shrug. "This...person needs passage to Soria."

Nasir raised a brow, putting down his mug. "That is all?"

For a moment, she would have sworn she could feel the calculating gaze Corax was sweeping over her. And since she very much suspected that Nasir somehow knew she was the person in need of passage, she dared to nod. Corax's fingers—still wrapped around her wrist—tightened, but he didn't shush her or otherwise attempt to stop her.

"Yes," she said, meeting Nasir's dark eyes. His lips curled knowingly. "I need to leave Metus as soon as possible. All I require is passage to Soria. Safe passage," she amended quickly, having learned early with Corax that everything was about the wording.

Every deal made must be worded with exactness and care, lest you force yourself unwittingly into the bad end of a bargain.

"And if you find yourself safe on Soria's golden shores?" he asked, fingers drumming a discordant melody along the side of his mug.

Cassia raised a scathing eyebrow. "If?" she repeated.

"The sea is a dangerous place," Nasir said with an elegant shrug, his braids falling over his shoulder. "Particularly for a woman."

To her surprise, Corax interjected himself into the negotiation. "If she doesn't find her way safely to Soria, you will find yourself short a trade partner." He nuzzled her earlobe, making her flinch slightly. "And I might find myself with cause to tack your dark hide to my wall."

That, more than anything else he had done, surprised her. She very nearly forgot herself and made to turn toward him, sure her shock would be clear in her eyes. But Corax's hand slid up to her bicep, holding her in place. Nasir's eyes had gone flat at the threat, but he didn't otherwise show any sign of displeasure. Cassia could practically see the wheels turning in his head and recognized the shrewd nature hidden behind his gleaming smiles and silky words.

She wondered why Corax couldn't have gotten her passage on a ship piloted by a dullard. A journey across the tempestuous Belorian would be much more enjoyable if she wasn't constantly having to watch her back.