Ch. 50: Beyond the Horizon

Cassia inhaled deeply, the crisp scent of the morning ocean filling her nose and leaving a taste of salt on her tongue. The water was glossed with gold from the rising sun, the sky the deep, intense blue that can only be found on the open sea. The weather had grown steadily warmer as they traveled southwest toward Soria's largest port city, Ansha.

After nearly a month at sea, the crew had become mostly used to her presence on the quarterdeck in the early mornings. She still received a number of sideways glances from the men as they passed, but the disapproving stares and murmurs had diminished somewhat as her novelty wore off.

Cassia had found the pattern of training at sunrise a comforting one to maintain, especially when the rest of her situation remained so fluid. She had been unable to beg, borrow or steal a blade from Nasir or any of the crew, but she still remembered the footwork patterns Julianus had taught her. Holding an imaginary blade aloft, Cassia danced her way through the steps. Her body moved with the gentle pitch and roll of the deck, her boots slipping ever so slightly on the damp wood. 

She was aware of the eyes on her. He always watched her. He had been watching her since the first day she had dared to venture beyond the confines of the captain's cabin.

As always, Cassia ignored Askari, who was standing beside the helmsman. His arms were crossed, his dark eyes tracking her every move. They had rarely spoken beyond trading a few insults during Cassia's time on the ship. Mostly she avoided the first mate whenever she could, the memory of blood between them far too potent to forget or forgive.

She took a deep breath and focused on a particularly tricky bit of footwork, her shoulder muscles beginning to burn as she held her arm up. Sweat broke out over her brow, strands of hair slipping from the tie at the back of her neck. The wind blew them against her cheek, tickling at the corners of her mouth and eyes. She moved faster, breathing harder as she lost herself in the movement, flowing through the form.

All those dancing lessons had come in handy.

Cassia turned and nearly stumbled backwards when she found Askari had moved closer to where she was practicing. Her hand shot to the knife that had been her most constant companion since she'd set out to sea. 

Askari narrowed his eyes. He tapped the leg she had wounded all those days ago. "I begin to think that was mere luck. I am not sure I believe you actually know how to use that."

"Would you care to test your theory?" Cassia pulled the knife from its sheath, flipping it in her hand as she'd seen Vestarin do. As she'd practiced hundreds of times holed up in the cabin Nasir had given her. She'd had little else to do besides read the books on offer and refine the skills taught her by Julianus and his brother.

She was pleased to think the practice had paid off.

To her surprise, the corner of Askari's mouth turned up in what might have been a smile. The expression put her on edge, her fingers tightening convulsively on the hilt of the knife.

"You do such strange things," he said, eyeing her speculatively, his gaze lingering on the short strands of her hair blowing in the wind. "For a woman."

"Yes," she replied, thinking it best to keep their conversation as simple and short as she could. 

Nasir had warned her to keep her distance from Askari. As much as one could keep their distance on a ship. Cassia had been glad to heed that order. She still woke up nights with her scalp burning and the memory of a blade traveling ever closer to the vulnerable flesh of her throat.

"Why?" The simple question surprised her, as did Askari's tone. It was not hostile, for a change, but rather curious. He crossed his arms, shifting his weight to his uninjured leg.