1. Denial.

Scarlett POV.

And there he was, sprinting across the field, passing all his foes without a single drop of effort. He was cockier tonight and maybe even a second faster too.

It was as if the field was set ablaze with his tracks and the other team couldn't handle that kind of heat. He left them in the dust. Sprinting with everything in him, as if death besought him if he failed.

The crowd roared as he ran towards his glory, breaking his own record once again. The crowds were already singing the anthem to our victory. The Panthers were in it for the win; I mean, how could we lose with a quarterback like that on our side. He was like a panther, majestic and fast. He embodied this school and my eyes were drawn to this sight like childish simpletons. 

He made sure we were all watching; he fed off of the attention; he revelled in the eyes; he didn't seem to hide it either. In a school like mine, football was everything. That made him everything, and he was well aware of the attention he always had.

"And touchdown!" The commentator screeched, awakening me from my daze. I hadn't realised how cold it had gotten, I tugged on my jacket as if doing so would give me the warmth I sought after. Dusk had descended to a still darkness, filling the sky with stars no one cared to look at. The field lights glared down into the game, annoying my tired eyes. The cool wind nipped at my skin, but I didn't mind it too much.

"Damn, Scar, did you see that one?" Candy yelled as she grabbed a hold of my shoulders and shook me around. "I swear if he keeps this up - he's makin' the big leagues, sis, this place is crawling with scouts; good fa him,"

Candice Waters was a beautiful girl. Flawless dark skin, a big puffy cloud of hair that barely grazed her shoulders, eyelashes that framed her round face and fanned her cheeks. She was curvy and soft. And also my best friend.

I nodded in response, not bothering to yell a reply over the cheering crowd.

"Good for him" I repeated, sounding more apathetic than I'd hoped. We watched as he pulled his helmet off, throwing it to the ground and roaring in a display of his masculinity. His adoring fans leaked onto the field celebrating our latest win. "The girlfriend" dropped her cheer gear, sprinting into his arms with excitement. And with the surrounding shrieking of the fiery crowd, the couple manoeuvred into a nauseating lip-lock. I was no longer astounded by the sight. The game had come to a victorious end.

And then it was over. The crowds dissipated as they headed home. The energy disappeared as fast as it came. Relief settled in my chest, I could finally leave.

Candy yanked at my hand, "C'mon Scar let's get down there!"

"No thanks, Candy, I got things to do." I frowned as I yanked my hand back. "Like not being here,"

"A'ight, good luck getting home then, you rode with me remember?" She played innocent as she headed down the stairs. "Yo mama gon' bust a cap in yo ass before she lets you take an Uber past 9,"

"I hate you, Candy, I do" I seethed as I followed her down.

"You ain't even gotta say nothin' I just wanna talk to Dante'" She reasoned as she latched onto my arm.

"You know what, I'd rather call my mom before I have to tail you two for the rest of my pathetic life," I complained.

"Oh C'mon Scar, I promise not to take too long," she tried to convince.

"Yeah whatever," I replied, I knew that my friend had no intentions of leaving game day early. She was the type of girl who loved being out all the time; when she couldn't stand the FOMO, she had a habit of dragging me into it.