Anders x Hawke!Reader: The New Kitten

Anders would be lying if he said that the clinic wasn't wearing him down. He loved helping and healing; he loved to make people feel better and to witness the miracles he was a part of. After a long day of healing, he would sit back and take a deep breath. There was a longing for something to soothe and relax him. Hawke was gone with the party of a long trip and wouldn't be back for another while. This is the time when he longed desperately for a companion other than people. His mind drifts to his Ser Pounce-a-lot.

Three days later he heard the news that Hawke had returned home. He closed up the clinic for the day after treating everyone who needed help that was present. He rushed through the city to find her home and knocked on let himself in quietly. Her mother greets him with a smile when he approaches the front room and he returns it. 

"Hawkes upstairs," she says, sitting in front of the fireplace.

"How long has she been home?"

"She got back last night and went straight up to her room. Haven't seen her much since then."

"Did something happen?" Anders asks, his brows pushing together with concern.

Edith shakes her head and sighs softly, "No I don't think so. Just a long journey."

"I see," Anders turns to look up the stairs in the direction of Hawkes room. He fidgets for a moment before exhaling a puff of air and nodding. "I'll come back later then, I wouldn't want to bother her. I'm sure she needs her rest."

"No, no," Edith says, standing before he could turn to walk away. "She's been rummaging around for nearly an hour, I'm sure she's up. Why don't you go say hi?"

"Are you sure?"

"Mh-hm." Edith sits back down and gestures for Ander to go, giving him a wide and encouraging smile.

There's a pause of silence as Ander swallows thickly. He nods and looks up the stairs before beginning to ascend. As he got closer, it did indeed seem that Hawke was awake and up. There were soft thumping sounds and laughs. He trailed to a stop a few steps away and worried if someone else was with her. Pushing through the worry, he closes the space between himself and the door and knocks three times, quickly. 

There's a beat, then slowly steps to the door. "Mother?" he hears. Before he could get a word out, Hawke opens the doors. Her eyes widen in shock as her eyes fall on Anders before she grins, "Anders! Hello."

"Hello, Hawke," Anders says, smiling softly. "I thought I'd come to see how the journey faired."

"It went well," Hawke smiles. Her smile starts to fall slightly and her eyes seem distant for a moment as she thinks before she refocuses on Anders and asks, "Do you want a surprise?"

"A surprise?"

"You'll like it!"

"Will I?"

Hawke nods, biting down on her bottom lip as she smiles. She straightens up and closes the door to a crack. Anders sees her turn away and walks away for a moment, she whispers to something. She's back at the door in a hop and says so quickly her words blurred together, "Close your eyes."

"Uh, wha-"

"Trust me Anders and close your eyes," Hawke waits patiently and Anders stares for a moment into her wide shining eyes. There was a bit of reluctance before he couldn't resist the pouting look she gave him. Anders sighs softly, a small smile playing on his lips, and he shuts his eyes. He didn't expect for Hawke to grab him by his hand and pull him into her room. The door shuts softly and she leads him across the bedroom.

There was the sound of something shuffling ahead of both of them and Ander's curiosity was peaked. What could it possibly be?

"Alright," Hawke says. She stands in front of him and Anders waits for the magic words eagerly. "Okay." She sounds nervous. "I hope you like this, I had you in mind when I made the decision."

"You're making me nervous," Anders jokes.

"Open your eyes, Anders," her voice was soft but still edging with excitement.

Slowly he opens them. At first, he sees Hawke peering up at him, almost trembling with excitement and effort of holding still. Slowly he looks down at her raised hands and sees - he gasps and looks up to stare widely at her. "Is that a-" he looks back down. It was a kitten that she held in both of her hands. It was stretched on it's back in her hold and laid limply, its paws raised above its head. If it weren't for the fact that it was staring calmly up at him with blue eyes so blue they almost looked clear. "Oh!"

"Do you like him?"

"He's gorgeous!"

"I've been told he's called a Ragdoll cat, I'm sure you can see where they get their name."

Anders chuckles at that and nods. He holds his hands out and looks at Hawke questioningly, "May I?"

Hawke beams and hands the kitten over, watching with amusement as Anders goes to hold the kitten and it flops back in his hold. They both share a chuckle at the sight. "I found him out in the wild a few days ago. He was a little skin and bones, a little dirty, so I took care of him. He's already in much better spirits since then."

"You're keeping him?"

"Well, I thought about maybe giving him to you..." Hawke murmurs softly. "You mentioned wanting another friend and I figured he'd be perfect for you."

"Would it be alright if I kept him here? I'm not sure Darktown would be the best place for him."

"That's fine," Hawke grins. "I wouldn't mind. I'm not sure how Mother would feel about him so how about we keep him a secret. Just a you and me thing?"

"That sounds... nice," Anders says. He scratches the kitten's underbelly softly and grins as he mews softly, bumping his head into Anders's arm. Hawke hums a tone of agreement and grins, grabbing Ander's robes and pulling him over to the bed. 

"How about you sit here with the kitten and think up a name while I make us some treats?" 

Hawke goes to walk away but the sound of her name stops her. She turns to look at Anders who was looking up at her with the widest smile she had ever seen him have. "Thank you," he says softly, "this is just what I needed."

Smiling, Hawke nods, "I'll be back with those snacks."

Anders grins and looks down at the cat petting it gently. Hawke leaves the room and he sighs softly, "What a wonderful surprise."