Part 7

"Just relax." Shadecreek's mew cut through Aspenpaw's swirl of nervous thoughts. "Just breathe, and don't speak if you don't want to. Stick close to me until you're comfortable. It'll be alright." 

       It was the night of the full moon, which meant it was the night of the full moon Gathering. Aspenpaw and his two brothers were chosen to go as well as a few of the older apprentices. While Brackenpaw and Pinepaw were over the moon excited, Aspenpaw himself had become anxious and withdrawn, and began speaking less and less as the afternoon - and his fear - had progressed. 

       By the time Cloverstar had led ShadowClan to Fourtrees, Aspenpaw hadn't spoken since the sun had touched the tops of the trees surrounding the ShadowClan camp. Being the introvert that he was, Aspenpaw didn't do so well with crowds, or socializing, or just talking to strangers in general, so this basically had the young tom shaking from ears to tail-tip, the thick scent of fear coming from him in waves.

       Shadecreek had stopped him with his tail as the rest of the Clan entered the empty hollow; they were the first to arrive. He looked his son in the eyes, his gaze filled only with the warmth of a father; not the briskness of a mentor.

       "Look, I know you're nervous." The mottled tabby began, his voice gentle. "And I know you don't do too well with crowds or socializing. Neither do I." He sat down, draping his tail over the shaking apprentice. "But this is a good way for you to learn to hide that discomfort, and use it to your advantage." 

       Aspenpaw looked confused at that, tilting his head to the side as he looked up at his father, meeting the blue-green gaze steadily. "How?" He asked, his voice smooth despite his fear.

       Shadecreek chuckled, looking up at the sky. "Well, at first, you speak sparingly, just enough to show others you can, because you don't want to be perceived as rude." He said, looking back at the apprentice. "Then, you use it to your advantage when you become a warrior, because the apprentices and younger warriors often see those who portray themselves as strong and silent to be that way naturally, and they look up to that." 

       Aspenpaw looked down into the hollow, seeing that WindClan was arriving, the large patrol, with Oriolestar at the head of the group, his mate Heatherlily beside him. "I'm ready." He spoke, his voice strong and his gaze filled with determination. "Let's go." 

~~~~~~~~

       When Aspenpaw and Shadecreek entered the hollow, the scent of cats was almost overwhelming, but the apprentice entered the throng head-on, refusing to let his fear show. After a few moments, he discovered that there was no fear at all, and his heartbeat was steady. 

       Aspenpaw went to a group of apprentices, mostly WindClan, and sat down, politely introducing himself as he sat down, wrapping his tail around his paws. 

       A pretty silver and white tabby she-cat nodded to Aspenpaw, her deep amber eyes almost out of place in her delicate features. "I'm Moorpaw." She said, her voice as light and soft as a cool summer breeze. "Is this your first time?" She asked, chuckling a little as the tom nodded. "It's okay if you're nervous. I was nervous my first time too, but it's amazing and so wonderful once you get used to it." 

       Aspenpaw spent a good amount of time chatting with Moorpaw, and learned some cool new things about the pretty apprentice. One of the things that struck his interest particularly, was that she was the daughter of Oriolestar and Heatherlily. 

       "Really?" He asked, intrigued. "You don't look like them." Then he stopped, realizing his bluntness, and hoped he hadn't come across as rude.