10

I comb through my hair for the millionth time that night. Tonight is the winter dance at school, which means that I'm meeting TJ at The Spoon at 8. I figure it'll be nice to just sit down with him, share a muffin, and get to know more about him and his favorite things. I'm not going to let myself be disappointed over a school dance. I do want to talk to TJ about his potential learning disability at some point, though...

I arrive to The Spoon at 7:58; just in time to see TJ poke his head out of the front doors curiously as he looks around the vicinity for signs of my arrival. He grins nervously as I jump out of my car and walk towards him. "Cyrus," he whispers when we embrace. I have no idea why his voice sounds so shaky; we've gone on tons of dates before this one. However, it all makes sense when I step fully inside the diner.

There are green, red, blue, and white lights crowning the entire restaurant's interior. The Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun" is ringing out softly on the jukebox and I laugh, admiring TJ's affinity for 70s music. My eyes are drawn to the intricate paper snowflakes and colorful dreidels on the walls, as well as the beautiful Christmas tree in the center of the restaurant that's been topped with...the Star of David! TJ's voice broke the awe-induced silence as he took my hand carefully in his.

"I heard you were going to decorate The Spoon with diverse decorations...but I wanted to surprise you, too. You and I may come from different backgrounds, but we belong together as one, underdog. Do...do you like it...?" Before he can conjure up even an ounce of self-doubt, I grab TJ's face and let his lips crash into mine, letting my fingers tangle in his hair as he registers what's going on. His lips move slowly and unsurely, and I break apart to whisper "I love you, TJ Kippen. I remember you telling my mom the other day that you love me. I love you, too. I'll always love you, okay? Thank you so, so much for this beautiful gift tonight. But just know that you're the only gift I'll ever want." These words set off fireworks in my soul because I realize that the words have been burning at my tongue since I met this boy. TJ, with holiday light-illuminated tears streaming down his face, nods and puts his lips to my ear to say, "I'll never stop loving you, Cyrus. You and I are forever." We smile shyly at each other for only a breath before TJ puts his hands to my waist and guides us towards a booth, where he leans us against the table for stability and kisses me like I'm the elixir of life. It's like my soul has opened up and I'm experiencing every color of the rainbow in its own way. Breathing in TJ's scent is like oxygen for my spirit, only him and I existing in this world. His grip on me tightens and I can hear him whispering similar notions back to me in-between each minuscule break for air.

When we finally break apart after what must have been at least 10 minutes, our eyes exchange countless unspoken words and he captures me in a small, chaste kiss, leaving me hyper-aware of my insatiable desire to kiss him until my lungs give out. He nods as though he's just read my mind. "Let's promise to never have a last kiss, Cyrus. I need you--I need us...forever."

I nod joyously in response and he grabs my hand. "Do you remember the time I wanted to take you out on my motorcycle for the first time?" TJ asks suddenly. I whisper 'yes' and gently brush TJ's cheek. "Do you remember what you told me about it being illegal...and/or unsafe?" TJ follows, not missing a beat as he grins devilishly. I return his grin with an anxious one. "I told you that dancing with danger is on my bucket list..." I reply carefully, internally chastising myself for ever thinking TJ was a dangerous person to be around.

"Well," TJ starts carefully, looking deep into my eyes with his bright emerald ones. "Is dancing with danger still on your bucket list?" I realize where he's going and I nod shyly, letting him take my hands and guide them to his shoulders as he places his own hands on my waist again. The jukebox now plays a song I haven't ever heard before, and TJ and I begin to dance slowly. My head rests on his left shoulder, and he leans down to kiss it. He twirls me around and steps smoothly in time with my awkward, clunky movements. I love every moment of it and I look up to watch his eyes flutter shut as he relishes this moment, too. The holiday lights seem to grow a little brighter and warmth takes over my being. We kiss deeply as the song quietly comes to an end, and I carefully break our position to walk over and see which song had just played on the jukebox so I can remember it forever.

"Thelonious Monk- The Man I Love"