Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Walking down the streets of Queens in the morning is a pretty much a picture-perfect thing to do. At least, that's what a lot of people tell you. Don't believe a second of it. At least, that's what (y/n) thinks. In a picture-perfect scenario, people would happily say hello to her, even if they were strangers. On this frosty March morning, the few people that did even spare her a glance, would just angrily mutter something and move on.

But (y/n) was used to it.

She was used to the angry grumbles of the pedestrians that acted like she was just a minor inconvenience, an expendable body that they wouldn't miss. Of course, that was mostly true. The only two people that actually cared about her were her adoptive parents. But she didn't care. She had learned to play with the hand given to her, even if it was crap.

And then, there was the daytime heck hole, school.

Everyone didn't seem to notice (y/n) was there, and she didn't honestly care. (y/n) was never what you would have described a people person, so when barely anyone even acknowledged her very existence, she didn't have to talk to other people.

But when someone like the resident buttface Eugene 'Flash' Thompson notices her, it usually means trouble. But (y/n) somehow always managed to cross that precariously dangling bridge when it came. Luck was on her side in those situations.

(y/n) got onto the school grounds no problem, but her good fortune seemed to stay at the door. She was almost to her first-period class when she bumped into a kid, sending them both to the floor. She didn't recognize him. "Sorry," She murmured after getting up and pulling him off the ground, and then stalked off to her next class, English.

~+=+~

Classes passed by quite quickly, (y/n) was in her sixth class before she saw the boy she had knocked over that morning. He sat down in front of her, obviously not noticing her. (Thank you social invisibility.) Next to him sat the infamous Peter Parker. Everyone knew him.

(y/n) looked back uninterestedly to her notebook, picked up her pencil, and started sketching a few random things. Herself, at the desk in the back of the classroom, leaning over something. The strange girl that sometimes hung out with Peter and his friend. A few other things. Things that came to her mind.

The bell rang again for the 13th time in the day, signaling class was over. Everyone flooded out and dispersed to their next class. (y/n) was one of them. Her seventh-period class was P.E, which sucked. She changed into the school-issued gym outfit, which was a crappily made t-shirt, and some knee-length workout shorts that were kind of baggy. 

(y/n) sat at the very top of the bleachers, her feet hanging off the side. The gym teacher rolled out a television set that needed to be in a museum. It flickered on, onto a video that she had seen three times. She didn't have to try and tune that out. The teacher said a few things after the video finished, and then noticing finally that no one was listening to him, just sent them off doing laps. (y/n) was one of the few that didn't groan, but instead sighed. She could definitely do it. She just didn't like it. There was a lot of things that could be better than doing laps, but she did it anyway.

The reason she liked sitting near the top was that she was the last to start running, and she was just fine with that. More time to think before her train of thought was constantly interrupted by shoes pounding and squeaking on the floor. 

She flew by many of the slower runners, easily settling into a mix of jogging and running. She was about to pass by another pair of kids when she got a snatch of their conversation. "-patrol was-" She sunk back a little. "pretty uneventful. I webbed up a mugger who was trying to extort money from a college kid." 

"Yeah, but your life can't really be considered uneventful. I mean, you're Spiderman!" The boy she had bumped into that morning had done the speaking. She glanced at the other boy and furrowed her eyebrows. What in the world? 

Peter Parker jogged beside the boy, "Meh. When you experience it every day, it becomes a bit dull." (y/n) looked at the brunette, wondering how in the world that could be true. But yet... everything just fit. It would explain the unexplained excursions from school. The tardiness. The hurrying out of school like he has to be somewhere. The 'I have to go to the bathroom' excuses and not coming back. Two years ago, he asked Liz, the former Decathlon captain, to Home-coming, and then abandoned her after about three minutes, and Mr. Toomes, a supervillain and Liz's dad, was arrested only a few hours later by Spiderman. Coincidence? Probably not. She lagged back a few paces, making sure that she wouldn't be suspected if the boys noticed her.

She was also given some time to mull it over while doing this. She spent the last few laps thinking about it all the time. Everything while all jumbled up, weirdly made sense. But all the same, it seemed like the ground had been cut out under her, and she was still plummeting down the hole beneath it.

-Fin-

Final Word Count: 913