Ch. 19

Later that night, the homecoming dance have started, and every Pendergast student arrived looking fancy. The gym looked urban-themed, having a live band on the gym's stage, a disco ball hanging in the center of the ceiling, a poker table on one side of the gym, and a snack bar on the other side. Jake and his friends entered the gym, dancing in the center of the gym.

"Jakey, don't forget," Troy said. "I already called the police chief to come in a little later. When he do, we get onstage and tell the school about what Becky did."

"I remember the plan, Troy," Jake replied. "But right now, we should have some fun. We've been through so much this quarter."

"Amen!" Nick shouted out.

Jake and his friends laughed happily. Trina approached Jake with a solemn look.

"Jake, can we talk? Privately?" she asked.

"Sure," Jake followed Trina to the snack table.

"Jake, I just wanna say that... I'm sorry for everything I put you through," Trina said. "I've been so focused on making Nick my boyfriend, even after he rejected me. I talked to Sophie about everything that happened this quarter, and I just wanna give you a proper apology."

"Apology accepted, Trina," Jake responded. "But we do have one thing to compete for."

"Right... the homecoming crown... If it makes you feel better, Sophie talked me outta rigging the votes, so the results will be fair."

Jake chuckles, "Hehe... thanks, Trina. Let's head back to our friends."

Jake and Trina returned to their friends, Nick and Erica standing beside each other.

"What was that about?" Erica asked.

"Trina and I made amends," Jake explained. "She apologized for everything she did to me this quarter."

"That's great!" Nick replied. "Now you don't have to worry about a bully. C'mon, let's play a game at the poker table."

Jake, Nick, and Erica went to the poker table to see Troy, Trina, Sophie, and Andre playing poker, while Ricky was the dealer; Troy won the game.

"Eat 'em and weep!" Troy yelled out happily.

"Jake, wanna play poker?" Ricky asked.

"I don't know how to play," Jake answered.

"Then we'll play another game, then."

Ricky took the cards and shuffled them up.

"This game is similar to Catch 21," he said. "I'm gonna deal one card at a time. Your goal is to not go over the number 21. Aces are worth 1, and all face cards are worth 10. If you get more points than me, the dealer, you win. Wanna play?"

"Sure," Jake answered.

Ricky dealed Jake an eight of spades, then dealed a six of hearts.

"Wanna keep going?" Ricky asked.

"One more card," Jake answered.

Ricky dealed a five of diamonds.

"Wanna stop here?" he asked.

"I got nineteen, so... yeah, I'll stop," Jake answered.

"My score is seventeen. You win, Jake."

"Nice job, babe," Nick said.

"You won on your first try," Erica added. "Awesome!"

"Let's head to the dancefloor," Troy said.

Jake and his friends went under the disco ball and danced to the live band.

"Aren't they signed to RadioLab Records?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah," Andre answered. "I think their band name is XD Heroes."

"Must be nice getting signed to a major label," Trina commented. "Maybe I could get signed."

"I agree, but... my vote's on Jakey," Troy replied.

"What's the deal with you guys, anyway? You love talking about him. Do you love him?"

"Jakey's my brother... my blood brother."

Trina, Sophie, and Andre were in shock after hearing Troy's confession. Jake walked beside Troy, giving him a hug; Troy wrapped his arm around Jake.

"Unexpected twist," Trina said. "Well, congratulations."

Jake and Troy smiled at each other, breaking their hug.

Later, a peaceful but memorable instrumental played, Jake, Nick, and Erica standing onstage with microphones onstage.

Jake: Yeah, breakfast at Tiffany's and bottles of bubbles / Girls with tattoos who like getting in trouble / Lashes and diamonds, ATM machines / Buy myself all of my favorite things (yeah)

Nick: Been through some bad shit, I should be a sad bitch / Who woulda thought it'd turn me to a savage? / Rather be tied up with calls and not strings / Write my own checks like I write what I sing, yeah (yeah)

Erica: My wrist, stop watchin', my neck is flossin' / Make big deposits, my gloss is poppin' / You like my hair? Gee, thanks, just bought it / I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it (yeah)

All: I want it, I got it, I want it, I got it / I want it, I got it, I want it, I got it / You like my hair? Gee, thanks, just bought it / I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it (yeah)

As they were singing, the police chief arrived to the dance, Troy approaching him and showing him the evidence he, Jake, and Nick found earlier that day.

Jake: [rap] Yeah, my receipts, be lookin' like phone numbers / If it ain't money, then wrong number / Black card is my business card / The way it be settin' the tone for me / I don't mean to brag, but I be like, "Put it in the bag, " yeah / When you see them racks, they stacked up like my ass, yeah / Shoot, go from the store to the booth / Make it all back in one loop, give me the loot / Never mind, I got the juice / Nothing but net when we shoot / Look at my neck, look at my jet
Ain't got enough money to pay me respect /Ain't no budget when I'm on the set / If I like it, then that's what I get, yeah

All: I want it, I got it, I want it, I got it / I want it, I got it, I want it, I got it / You like my hair? Gee, thanks, just bought it / I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it (yeah)

After the song, the students cheered for Jake and his friends. Troy approached the stage and got Jake's attention, both of them approaching the police chief.

"Cheif Harold, PPD," said the chief. "Your brother told me about your situation and showed me the evidence you collected. I need you to tell me about your experience with Officer Bishop."

Jake explained the whole story of him and Becky, from the adoption to running away to stay with Nick.

"My greatest apologies that you have to go through that," Harold replied. "I'll make sure that Bishop pays for what she has done."

"Thanks, Chief," Jake said.

"You're highly welcome. Enjoy the redt of your night."

Harold exited the gym, Jake and Troy celebrating.

Later...

"Good evening, everybody!" Principal Boswell said loudly onstage. "It's time to announce your homecoming royalty!"